When should I lay my kitchen floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought my first place and will be fitting a brand new kitchen.

I have two questions - the first is that there are built in walled pantry/cupboard areas that I wish to knock out to make the kitchen a larger surface area. How do you ensure the parts where the wall meets the floor and ceiling are neatly done?

Also, should I lay my new floor before the new kitchen is fitted, or lay it around the new units?

I presume this is a stupid question, but I'm totally new to DIY work

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome adam80 :D :D :D :D

have you checked if the wall is load bearing before you think about knocking it down!!!

if its a wooden floor you reduce the level of the bricks untill you can install woodwork to tie both haves together

all depends on what you find when you look

Hello, thanks for the welcome. I'm pretty sure that the walls are not load bearing, but we're checking it with the local council - it's a former local authority place. If they can't be knocked down it really spanners the plans for the kitchen!

Is there another way to find out if a wall is load bearing?

Sponsored Links
adam80 said:
Hello, thanks for the welcome. I'm pretty sure that the walls are not load bearing, but we're checking it with the local council - it's a former local authority place. If they can't be knocked down it really spanners the plans for the kitchen!

Is there another way to find out if a wall is load bearing?

if theres no wall above [or in the close area without a wall underneath]if you have any loose floorboards in the area lift and see if any joists stop/join on top of the wall

even a stud wall can be roped in at a later date to support weight above

theres always an rsj to support the wall if nessesery ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back