When to replace radiators?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may be a "how long is a piece of string" type question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.
Our panel radiators are over 35 years old and there has always been rust inhibitor in the system.
However, over the years the system has been emptied /refilled a number of times (extend system; replace faulty thermostatic valves, replace towel rad.; changed from back boiler to combi-boiler in 2009 (Fernox then changed to Sentinel X100).....).
Next year I will be redecorating some rooms and I wonder if I should be considering replacing all 7 radiators at the same time.
There are no signs of leakage at present, but I would rather take preventative action than face problems later.
As this will be a large expense, I would value the opinions of others before going ahead.
Should I replace 35+ year old rads. or are they likely to have many more years life in them?
Comments appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Personally I would replace them but completely up to you, just be aware that as your rads are so old exact size replacements might not be available so best to do before decorating if you are going to do it and change all the valves at the same time

If you get new ones, make sure they are a suitable size (as in heat output) for the room - don't assume that the existing ones are correct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back