When will an electric car be able to do Paris Dakar?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK I suspect the ralley is no longer run, and maybe there are better ways to travel.

But the idea of driving a car onto a train and it is charged while on the train would make a lot of sense, so can an electric car be charged while on the train going through the channel tunnel?

What we need is a train within 50 miles so you only need to drive 50 miles, and after that the train takes the strain.

Or at least train stations with arrays of charge points, and rental electric cars.

What is needed is a new infrastructure. But speed is a problem, until Colvid19 I could drive to Llanfair put my car on charge and catch the train, but 8 miles to Welshpool takes 50 minutes, and the problem does not end there, next is a bus across Welshpool, the train now stops at Ravens Square and does not trundle through streets of Welshpool.

It needs the train and bus times to be synchronized, last house was just outside Mold, and there was a bus to Buckley train station, the bus firm got fined because he waited for the late train, how does that help?

Colvid19 shut the Welshpool station, so how can anyone rely on public transport which is stopped at drop of a hat?

Yes there is a bus, one a day, with hour between arriving and departing, so needs the railway even if it is slow, and not really environmentally friendly burning coal. But diesel engines don't attract passengers, and it can't afford to run without passengers.

So I am looking forward to seeing a public transport infrastructure that allows us to use it, step one is station car parks with charging points, yes Llanfair my local has two charging points, but the standard gauge station at Welshpool has non.

So let the goverment show us how good electric cars are and drive one London to Dakar, to show us that they can replace fossil fuel cars. But not holding my breath, can't see that being done in my life time.

Sponsored Links
so how can anyone rely on public transport which is stopped at drop of a hat?
Ask all those who voted to deregulate buses, fragment the rail network, and who regard state involvement in infrastructure as only marginally more acceptable than necrophilia - they voted for all of this, so they must have the answers.

It won't happen.

Unless they can create solar panels to charge at a fast enough speed, or use the rotating motion of the wheels to recharge the power being used.

In fact I've often wondered that, can they not make an electric car charge itself when in motion?

Sponsored Links
In fact I've often wondered that, can they not make an electric car charge itself when in motion?
Regenerative-braking goes some way towards that and is used in hybrids, giving around twice the mpg of an all-petrol car.

I have found the solution to this specific problem.
A couple of years ago a dodgy character sold me a vehicle with a revolutionary engine fitted to it.
You put a flammable liquid in the system and by the magic of physics this engine makes it explode under pressure to create movement in a chamber and make a piston go up and down.
This is reproduced in several chambers all linked together.
The movement of these pistons is converted by some other magical components and the end result is that the wheels spin and the vehicle moves forward.
Then I found that I had a problem: where do I get the flammable liquid???
Well, crazy thing, there are shops who sell it, they call them "petrol stations".
So every so often I go to one of these shops, waste 3 minutes filling the vehicle's tank with the magical flammable liquid and drive for another 600 miles.
Been doing this for 2 years and didn't tell anyone, I wanted to keep the secret for myself thinking it was illegal.
Then recently I found out that many other people knew about it, so I can now share this with you.
I know it's hard to believe, but all of these magical devices make my life easier, so here it is.
Enjoy.

Lightest EV car 1680 kg Lotus Evija, Morris Minor 775 kg, Citroen 2CV 585 kg. My wife's e-bike 22 kg, my e-bike 25 kg, the Gtech is down to 18 kg.

With the e-bike easy to see where the weight is, mine is heavy because it folds, and has 21 gears, wife's does not fold and has 7 gears, Gtech no gears and has a weight limit of 85 kg for rider, just over 13 stone 5 pounds, I wish, I am far too heavy for a Gtech.

It is interesting to see how the same e-bike preforms with a 14 stone and a 22 stone rider, with the UK limit of 250 watt, a 14 stone rider can climb most hills, and maintain the 15 MPH (at 16 MPH assistance stops) on most roads, but there is no extra power allowed for a 22 stone rider, so with the extra weight he needs much more of his own power to ascend hills, so far slower.

But with a car the weight of a 2CV today we would be looking at well over 100 MPG.

If you use three wheels instead of two, then it can travel slower without falling over, so 250 watt motor, range of 20 miles, weight with lead acid battery 45 kg, but only 5000 sold before the company failed, but that was 1985, what would happen if done again today?

Also, this is wrong. I have no idea which production EV is lightest but the Mini EV is 1,365kg. That's about 140kg more than the diesel model.
The Mini was 580–686 kg, although sure there were lighter cars, I seem to remember 7 cwt or 355.6 kg was the upper limit for a UK three wheel car. I seem to remember getting around 60 MPG with my Regal. However the 2CV was more stable.

We do have the "G-Wiz" at 400 kg minus battery, which were heavy as could be lead acid, but still 50 MPH, and range 50 to 75 miles depending on the battery used.

Wilipedia said:
The REVA is exempt from most European crash test rules, because its low weight and power registers it in the European "heavy quadricycle" category instead of the "car" category.
so yes problems, but if we want to improve the use of bikes and e-bikes we need to encourage the use of light cars, and ban armaco barriers on any roads where there is no independent cycle track, bad being hit by a car, but to be trapped between an armaco barrier and a car is a lot worse. So they need banning.

The Mini was 580–686 kg, although sure there were lighter cars, I seem to remember 7 cwt or 355.6 kg was the upper limit for a UK three wheel car. I seem to remember getting around 60 MPG with my Regal. However the 2CV was more stable.

We do have the "G-Wiz" at 400 kg minus battery, which were heavy as could be lead acid, but still 50 MPH, and range 50 to 75 miles depending on the battery used.

so yes problems, but if we want to improve the use of bikes and e-bikes we need to encourage the use of light cars, and ban armaco barriers on any roads where there is no independent cycle track, bad being hit by a car, but to be trapped between an armaco barrier and a car is a lot worse. So they need banning.
The current equivalent of the GWiz is the Wuling HongGuang Mini EV.

https://insideevs.com/news/450654/review-wuling-hong-guang-mini-ev/amp/

Roughly 1/3 the price and a lot more car, but still in the Citroen C2 style that doesn't really cut it in the modern world.

I've just wasted 3 most precious minutes of my life filling up my car with petrol.
Can't wait to be able to refuel on the go with EV...

I've just wasted 3 most precious minutes of my life filling up my car with petrol.
Can't wait to be able to refuel on the go with EV...
I believe they are working on Supercapacitors which will charge quicker than you can refuel with petrol.

Sponsored Links
Back