Where can I get coil springs + can I repair this one?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got an Ikea bin. One of the coil springs has broken.
Can I get an exact duplicate from somewhere or can I somehow repair?

See pic below, I tried cutting a safety pin and was trying to somehow attach that to the broken end of the spring:

XWWdwwf.jpeg

Is there someway I can weld/forge the 2 bits together without needing extreme temperatures!
Like some sort of glue? It would definitely work. I tried joining with some duct tape and it solved 25%... but nowhere near the full original.

This image shows the spring as it should be:

iFs9HrC.jpeg

Hoping someone can suggest something!

In the meantime, I'll contact Ikea. They do happily send you spare screws and other things.
Problem is that they don't sell this bin anymore.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think that is called a Torsion spring.

You can get them on ebay

The internal diameter is important

Some people charge several pounds for them. I dare say a spring supplier turns them out by the million.

I got some for a similar bin. If they are a loose fit they may fall off, so you may need to fabricate a retaining washer or lump of glue.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
  • Thanks
Reactions: OM2
@John D brilliant!
Torsion spring fits the bill!
Very expensive though
I could buy and bend into place one part and cut short another part - but then it would be a waste if it doesn't work - either the spring will be too weak or too strong

EDIT: just saw some videos on youtube to make coil springs!
That would be super easy - just need to get the metal - not sure where to get the metal + some sort of metal with a notch cut in that I could use to make...?

All of this bother for a small coil spring!!

Rather than finding a bit of metal like a paper clip (won't work, too soft, you can bend it with our hands but you can't bend the spring with your hands) have you considered a small metal tube that you can slide over the remaining stub of spring? Something like a piece of copper brake pipe, then crimp it so it stays. Araldite or similar epoxy would help fill any gaps between spring and tube and inhibit movement that would work it loose

Yes, you could weld a bit back on but the heat would affect the springiness of the metal and it may end up bending permanently(because it's non-springy) at the weld point..

Sponsored Links
See pic below, I tried cutting a safety pin and was trying to somehow attach that to the broken end of the spring:

This might help with 'how to' -

I make a point of collecting any springs from things I intend throwing out, and put them in a drawer.

Keep them in a large crate, marked "stuff to be thrown away when I die"

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Or perhaps the resident spring collectors @HarryBloomfield @johnny2007 could have offered to look through their vast collection and post a suitable match to OM2 ?

@OM2 if you want a short section of tube to try, PM me your address

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back