Where can I get timber in this size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to fix a large piece of timber to make our stairs safer for our young daughter. The size I need seems impossible to find and I was wondering if someone knew if it was available at all or whether I would have to get a custom size (how would I go about doing that?). the measurements are L - preferably over 2 meters so I cut to size
W- 212mm
T- 32mm (this is the most important since I want the piece to be the same thickness as the existing rail.

As you can see from the pic, there is a large gap through which one can fall. I want to put an extra piece below the existing rail in order to make the gap smaller and harder to fall through.

Any tips welcome! Thanks.

View media item 22188

Sponsored Links
Any decent local timber merchant should be able to supply timber of that size it's not exceptional.
You will need to ask them to machine it to the sizes you give, so you may have to pay a little over for this.

Sponsored Links
OP: You could use square spindles fitted flush to the existing rails on the outside. Maybe with a small spacer between spindle/rail to make it look a bit neater. No more than 99mm apart to meet regs and be classed as safe.

im sure thats 95mm deluks but i could be wrong ;)

its less than 100 ;)

but 95mm is sensible as you have a bit off leaway if a spindle has a bow or a smaller turned section or you need to s-t-r-e-a-t-c-h the spaces to fit the last few :D :D

Thanks everyone. I'll ring up my local Buildbase and see if they'll machine me some pieces to my measurements. Cheers!

You would be better off locating a specific timber supplier (yellow pages/google and all that) Buildbase are more for general building materials
They will probably just go to a local timber yard for the order and charge a load on top for their trouble.

Ok I'm a bit confused now... I had a chat with a guy from a builders merchant and he said I could get 38mm thick that would become 34mm in a finished size or 32mm that would become 28mm in a finished size. Can someone explain to me what this all means? Also, in the buildbase catalogue, they use terms like PAR, CONTRACT and PREMIUM, PREPARED (as in prepared softwood) Help please!

Cheers!

If you wanted timber to be finished 25mm x 25mm, you would have to start with wood that was say 30mm x 30mm.
So to get a specific size you need the next size up & then machined to your required measurements.
My local timber merchant will not charge for this service, but of course you pay for the large piece before it is machined down.
Hope that helps

Found this in the BuildBase catalogue. Is this what I'm looking for?

PREPARED SOFTWOOD PAR PREMIUM RANGE (cont)

Par Redwood

NOMINAL SIZE mm
38 x 150
FINISHED SIZE
32 x 144

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back