Where do you find rocks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a rockery, which is of course essential in every way. But where do you find large* rocks for it? Ordering them online seems a bit ridiculous, although if Amazon prime covers it I might reconsider.

*Large as in 20-40kg or so. Not Stonehenge sized boulders that I can't lift on my own.

Sponsored Links
By "find" it sounds like "steal"

You need to find a garden centre/landscape supplier or quarry that will deal with you
You cannot wander around and remove rocks from someone's land

just got mine out of farmers fields, I always ask and they seem more than happy
bigboulders_3335.JPG

you need a good back and a van
rocksvan_8297.JPG

By "find" it sounds like "steal"

You need to find a garden centre/landscape supplier or quarry that will deal with you
You cannot wander around and remove rocks from someone's land
No intent to steal, not sure where you got that from but I suppose you could read it in.

I'll give the local garden centre a ring, see if they've got any pointers.

(Free is of course nice, but free with permission rather than a five/ten finger discount)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Actually you can wander around someone's land and take large rocks.

If you ask them first.

Large rocks are the bain of many a farmer who wants them removed from their field, for they damage the plough etc.
You could take plenty of excercise walks around the country near you and ask the landowner when you find rocks.

Actually you can wander around someone's land and take large rocks.

If you ask them first.

Large rocks are the bain of many a farmer who wants them removed from their field, for they damage the plough etc.
You could take plenty of excercise walks around the country near you and ask the landowner when you find rocks.
You had me until 'exercise'.

Are there any large building/construction sites near you that are at the digging out stage?
Often plenty in a pile then.

Problem will be finding someone to ask.

Since I had the camera out the day, He is a before and after shot
bigboulders_3335-jpg.190604

rock_4579.JPG

have I made a retro garden ? LOL

Nowt wrong with the 70s, can I go back there and be a teenager again?

It's your garden, if you like it, that's all that matters.

I don't like certain plants. For instance I'm not mad keen on roses, or Dahlia's. Rockeries, sort of went out of fashion in the 70's bit like decking is out of fashion, not that you'd know it.

Anyway the question has been answered. Either get them from a farmer or landowner. People in the past used to take them from the wild, this is theft and the authorities come down hard on it.

Alternatively, you can make your own with concrete, they don't look anything like as bad as you may think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back