Where does the flushed water go!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with the downstairs toilet i.e. it takes a long time for water to drain away and loo roll does not flush. I have two toilets upstairs with no problems.

I have home emergency cover on my home insurance and a plumber visited today. He lifted the manhole in the back garden and demonstrated that water could flow in two directions. I flushed the two toilets upstairs and saw water flow through the manhole in the same direction. I then flushed the toilet downstairs and no water flowed through the manhole. A camera was put into the manhole in the direction where no water flowed (the direction we thought the downstairs loo would flow) and it was blocked - intentionally with a cap.

The plumber then lifted all the manholes he could find close by to the house and none seem to be for my downstairs toilet. The plumber is now talking about taking out the toilet and digging to find out where the water goes. Is there anything I can do to facilitate? Would Anglian Water know anything (the plumber thinks not)? Would the house builder be able to provide any insight? Are plans stored anywhere else?

Sponsored Links
How old is the property? Was Drain tracing dye used? You could try camera from wc connection?

@Chis_W, thanks for the reply. I put milk in the toilet (because the plumber had no dye at hand). I asked about putting a camera in the toilet, but the plumber said this would not work?

Sponsored Links
I assume the downstairs WC worked well in the past and has recently became an issue ?
You obviously have a partial blockage ,could plumber have overlooked a manhole ,possibly not even on your property ?
Digging should be an absolute last resort.

@terryplumb, I was with the plumber and we looked at every manhole nearby. I have lived in the property since 2014. I have had no problems until now.

The manhole that " lead elsewhere",did any milk appear in it ?

Last edited:
I flushed the toilet (with milk in) and then ran to the manhole the plumber was observing. I saw some light water running but no milk. I think the plumber proved this was not the manhole because he put in a very long pipe, which lead to another manhole i.e. no my downstairs toilet.

Anglian Water wont have plans showing that level of detail, anything 6" and above is usually shown, but nothing much below that. Individual properties are usually left to whoever lands on site to try and work out, and that only usually happens when there's an issue! Also would be cautious about describing anyone your Insurance company sends as a 'Plumber'. Having seen the state some of these leave jobs in, (including those in a fly on the wall TV show!), whilst they may be ok to changing a ballvalve, many haven't got a clue about drains.

Also unlikely the Housebuilder will know anything, chances are the house drainage across the site was left to the Groundwork teams to 'design' as they went, many modern housing estates have very ad hoc drainage systems, that ignore the basic fundamental rules of drainage design and are simply cobbled together to get the water away from the house with no regard to direction or fall.

Quite simply, if you know where the sewer runs that is taking the Upstairs bathroom, the downstairs WC should run in a straight line between the 2 points. Can you put a sketch up or some pics of what you have, i.e. position of manholes, direction of lows, and locations of WC's in the property? It's not unheard of for Builders to 'forget' to connect drains up, but I'd have expected the issue to manifest long before now if that was the case here.

Could it be connected to the surface water system in error.....maybe going to a soak away.

I can't say I've ever come across a WC connected that way, but Ive seen plenty of showers and bathroom sinks connected to a soak away.

I would go for a drain cctv survey , they can locate where the camera is with a radio signal, as said digging is a last resort

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back