Where have I cocked up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Removed wiring for ceiling rose to fit downlight..

I put all the live wire in one terminal strip, then did the same for the earth and neutral.. I extended the cable using 1mm two core and earth straight to my downlight

I turned on the electrics and it tripped...

Is it my dodgy wiring? Please be gentle guys :mrgreen:

The previous installer simply wrapped/twisted the earth from the two cabled in ceiling rose together. Should I separate these?

And would it be better to use Wago 222 as opposed to these terminal strips?

Pic 1 - ceiling rose before work
Pic 2 - light switch
Pic 3 - Ceiling rose removed, wires put into terminal strip and 1mm 2 core plus earth added
Pic 4 - Down light wiring

xzWeTmd.jpg

jqr6nHu.jpg

2370BEJ.jpg

vLuR17D.jpg

And yes I will tidy up my wiring, encase and add earth sheathing:)

Sponsored Links
Pic 3 is not connected the same as Pic 1, when it worked, is it?

However, in Pic 1 it would be more conventional to have the two reds in LOOP and the blacks in N and Live.
Although now you have altered it, you won't know which is which.
https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting-Rose

You really should get some understanding before doing these things.

I'm not an electrician but excluding the Earth, you need at least three connections in a ceiling rose. Live, switched live and neutral. You only have two in the last picture (excluding earth) so the switched live is going to either neutral or earth.

Here what I plan to do.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but this is the end of the lighting run as there are only two 1mm cables being fed into the light?

I also noted the loop, live and neutral wires..

One black cable was in the loop, so this is a switch live? Being a switch live, I will add this to the other live wire? Then feed this into the live terminal in the downlight.

The neutral wire will go into the neutral terminal

Would this sort my cock up? :D:D

Sponsored Links
As said above, now you've mixed them up one can only guess which is which. Unless you have a test meter of some sort?

Here's what to do.
The two reds. They go in a separate junction block. NOTHING ELSE CONNECTS TO THIS!!

Then you have two blacks.
One will be neutral and one will be switched live, you need your test device to find out which is which.

The switched live needs marking with a bit of red or brown sleeving or tape. That connects to the neutral
<edit>. This should read
The switched live needs marking with a bit of red or brown sleeving or tape. That connects to the live on the lights.

The other black is the neutral, that connects to the neutral on the lights.
And earth to earth.

Now, about the junctions. You cannot just leave them hanging there. If they are not going to be accessible, the junction must be MAINTENANCE FREE.
Even if they are accessible, they must be inside a suitable enclosure, and not just stuffed into the ceiling and forgotten about.

Last edited:
Here what I plan to do.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but this is the end of the lighting run as there are only two 1mm cables being fed into the light?

I also noted the loop, live and neutral wires..

One black cable was in the loop, so this is a switch live?
No, that is the Neutral.
The red in Live is the switched live because the switch cable is connected the wrong way round.

Being a switch live, I will add this to the other live wire? Then feed this into the live terminal in the downlight.The neutral wire will go into the neutral terminal
No, you still don't understand.
Have you looked a the link in my first reply.

Would this sort my cock up? :D:D
No - that IS your cock-up.

Wait a minute.

The switched live needs marking with a bit of red or brown sleeving or tape. That connectys to the neutral on the lights.
The other black is the neutral, that connects to the neutral on the lights.
And earth to earth.
Is there an error here? Are you saying both black cables i.e. switch live and neutral should go connect to the neutral on the light?

@EFLImpudence from the link you sent https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting-Rose

why are the switch cables both red? Shouldn't one be black?
No, you still don't understand.
My Mrs often says the same :D:D

No - that IS your cock-up.
If I'm honest, I like where this is going ;)

@EFLImpudence You're a legend! Will give my wiring a re-jig and hopefully I will report good news

why are the switch cables both red? Shouldn't one be black?
They have used a cable with two reds.
The colours actually mean nothing.
I don't like the twin red cables as obviously you can't tell which is which by just looking, although with a one-way switch it doesn't actually matter.

My Mrs often says the same :D:D
We'll never understand women. That's the trouble with mixed marriages. :LOL:

"The switched live needs marking with a bit of red or brown sleeving or tape. That connectys to the neutral on the lights.
The other black is the neutral, that connects to the neutral on the lights."

The above is taken from taylortwocities earlier post ,and it is wrong ,probably a typo

Last edited:
They have used a cable with two reds.

I don't like the twin red cables as obviously you can't tell which is which by just looking, although with a one-way switch it doesn't actually matter.

I don't see a double red cable, am I missing something?
We'll never understand women. That's the trouble with mixed marriages. :LOL:
And there was me thinking I'm the only one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back