Where is the bleed valve on my oil-fired boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

We have an OERTLI OES 150/152 LE boiler (see the pics below). We ran out of oil last week and had it filled up but the boiler is not firing. From what I've read I need to bleed the boiler to let the air out and get some oil in. However, being about as clueless about DIY as anyone could be, I don't see where the valve is. Can someone locate it for me using these pics?

Edit: Quick note on the 3rd pic. The pipe WITHOUT the red circular handle has a small, ridged nipple-like connector on the end (as if you'd attach a small piece of hose to it). Would that be it? Or is that red circular handle on the other pipe the bleed valve?

Many thanks

Front View
front.jpg

Side View
usgoj.jpg

Front view with feed pipes
otj0qq.jpg

Sponsored Links
One of the braided metal pipes is the oil feed and I think the other is a return. I would get some rags down and a plastic tray or similar and get a spanner and crack open each of the pipes until oil is running into your tray. Then tighten up and remove tray and rags and clean up and then attempt to light the burner.

andytw

On the fuel pump. Top right marked P. Loosen and allow the oil and bubbles to come out of it when you run the burner.

Sponsored Links
The flow is the right hand union.....depending on the orientation of your tank, you may need an oil syringe to pull the stuff through.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back