Where should return vents be located

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Upstairs we have warm air outlets in the ceiling and return air vents in the wall above the doors. In another post, somebody suggested that this was wrong, and that the return air way should be at the bottom of the door (under the door?, vent in the door?). British Gas look after the system and have never said anything, but any advice would really be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
This is not a safety, but a comfort issue..

The return air path should be as low down as possible in a room with ceiling diffusers.

Reason being in your scenario the floor areas will not be in the warm air circulation path. Thus cold feet.

Whatever made you expect British Gas to spot this :LOL:

It is not a maintenance issue, just poor installation design, so it isn't covered under your contract.

Yes - we have got used to hot heads and cold feet. However, Johnson and Starley have this morning advised that this is the correct layout - the return air vents should be above the doors?

I have just been trying to work out whether to keep the warm air system or change it for a wet system. The only real hassle is the noise of the return air flow in the hall. I had nothing but hassle with the wet system at our old house so think I am now going to live with the hot air and the noise.

Thanks for the information.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back