Where to buy L shaped wood for picture frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just wanting to create my own handmade (simple) frame for a painting.

I can find places online costing a fortune (£55 a metre FF) but I just want to buy some angled wood and do it myself.

Does this type of wood have a special name (to help my search abilities)
Or anywhere in London (south/central) that sells it/similar
Thanks

Attachments

• standard-tray-profiles-3.jpg
    standard-tray-profiles-3.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
Buy some pine or ramin beadings from Wickes and glue and mitre to the size required

Blup

Ramin and beading arent L shaped so it won't work with what I need to do. Thanks for the suggestion though

Check out

£7.50m ex vat (and bar postage)- it was the first site that I came across- others might be better quality.

I you do decide to do your own framing, you need to factor in the cost of a decent saw, plus the mitre insertion tool

Sponsored Links
Check out

£7.50m ex vat (and bar postage)- it was the first site that I came across- others might be better quality.

I you do decide to do your own framing, you need to factor in the cost of a decent saw, plus the mitre insertion tool
This is perfect thanks.

Check out

They do a cutting services have which is great so I'll use that to save my hassle

Can I ask what a mitre insertion tool is?

Mitres are often secured using fixings like corrugated fasteners

Corrugated Fasteners.jpg

which can be inserted using a special hand tool

Corrugated Hand Fastening Tool.jpg

or L-shaped mitre fasteners

Picture Framing L-Corner Fastening.png

which can be set with a hand setting tool (as above) or using a bench top machine

Corrugated Fastener Frame Joiner.jpg

These fasteners are both designed to pull the corners together tighty as you insert them. If mitre joining it by hand you generally need to set-up a corner jig of your own (basically two lengths of 2 x 1 softwood batten fixed onto a piece of plywood or MDF at right angles to hold the frame corner whilst you join it together). There are also kits which include a jig to do this, like the Charnwood kit

For smaller lightweight frames you can often join the mitres with hot melt glue, although it isn't always the most reliable method of joining stuff and it isn't strong enough for larger/heavier frames

...£26 for a chop-service which I'll glue myself...
A minor word of caution about glueing frames - as a technique it works for small, light frames with simple contents - add glass, a matte board, a backing board, etc and as the weight increases glue alone is less likely to work, which is why they invented those corner clips and corrugated fasteners I showed above. Maybe worth mentioning that for glazed pictures or mirrors mechanically securing the mitres is also a safety issue. With you on the DIY bit, though (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yep, your earlier post was great with info for fastening, which I am defo taking note of (inadition to the gluing)
Luckily no glass involved this time.

How big ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back