where to buy soldering iron n what to look for

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys I am looking for basic soldering iron gun. I only need it to welder a part into a laptop and also' melt' the existing part out. I dont the technical word for that is.
Ive seen one which is 40 and 60 watts. It was very cheap. Would that be good enough? Im only going to use it for the odd job. So I dont need an up matket one. Please recommened me where I cam pick a cheap one up from.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you're looking to solder something onto a PCB then you don't want a soldering gun. You need a very fine, very controlled iron. It is very easy to get too much heat and bang goes the who laptop.
Probably cheaper to go to a local computer electronics shop.

I have a very old Antex Type C 15W that's good enough for most light soldering duties. If your component has some big heat sinking pins though, you might need something heftier.

What exactly are you trying to solder?

Temperature control would definitely be best but I've yet to kill a passive component with heat. I've never soldered an IC directly but have done so with transistors no problem. Trick is to let it cool a little between takes.

Im trying to take off an existing dc power socket off the laptop motherboard. What equip would I need for this?
Also I need to solder a new dc socket in.

Sponsored Links
Im trying to take off an existing dc power socket off the laptop motherboard. What equip would I need for this?

This is not as easy and straightforward as you think.

If you don't already have a soldering iron, you will not possess the skills to work on a mulit-layer, plated through hole board.
There is a serious risk that you will damage the board.

Apart from a temperature controlled iron, you will need a solder sucker and a lot of skill and experience.

Frank

Soldering iron, solder and a de-soldering pump ("solder sucker"). I suggest if possible cut the legs off the old socket, then desolder and remove each leg individually from the PCB.

Ideally practice on something else first. The 15W Antex iron would be suitable, and should be available from Maplin if you have one nearby.

Don't even try. You simply cannot do this with a cheap one, you need an 'up market' one, also known as a real soldering iron, not a glorified hot stick, to the tune of £150 to have a chance to do it properly. And several years of experience.

Soldering iron, solder and a de-soldering pump ("solder sucker"). I suggest if possible cut the legs off the old socket, then desolder and remove each leg individually from the PCB.

Ideally practice on something else first. The 15W Antex iron would be suitable, and should be available from Maplin if you have one nearby.

You think a 15W cheapo is suitable to pull a DC jack off something with a ground plane?

You think a 15W cheapo is suitable to pull a DC jack off something with a ground plane?
The Antex C15 is, if you use their angled bit which has a decent surface area, and there's quite a bit of mass in the bit as well. (Coincidentally that's the bit that comes with it as standard) I am able to solder quite large connections with mine. OK a 50W thermostatic iron would be better, but would you buy one of those for a one-off job? By the way my temperature controlled iron didn't cost anything like £150 either - are you thinking of a hot air system?

This is supposed to be a DIY forum so it's appropriate to comment on what can be done with DIY type gear. I agree on the skill and practice, but I suggest that anyone who couldn't do this job with a cheap iron isn't going to manage with an expensive one either.

The Antex C15 is, if you use their angled bit which has a decent surface area, and there's quite a bit of mass in the bit as well. (Coincidentally that's the bit that comes with it as standard) I am able to solder quite large connections with mine.

Can't say I've seen as little as 15W have any chance of doing it without unacceptably high tip temperatures.. A laptop motherboard is one hell of a heatink.

By the way my temperature controlled iron didn't cost anything like £150 either - are you thinking of a hot air system?

No, I'm thinking of a proper station, not a light dimmer with a soldering iron on the end.

This is supposed to be a DIY forum so it's appropriate to comment on what can be done with DIY type gear. I agree on the skill and practice, but I suggest that anyone who couldn't do this job with a cheap iron isn't going to manage with an expensive one either.

Well, he sure as hell isn't going to manage it on his first go with a cheap iron. It really isn't worth trying with the wrong tools.

I'd suggest that since you need to ask, you probably don't have the skills for this job - I've done it myself (for a customer) and it's not a trivial job. Absolutely not one to be learning on.

Fitting the new socket is almost trivial.

Getting the old one off, clearing the holes, and not wrecking the board certainly isn't. I used a small cutting disk in a model maker sized multitool - ie using a 1" diameter abrasive cutting disk in a high speed 'drill' - to cut off the body of the old socket leaving the pins intact. Then you can remelt the solder and remove each pin individually. The alternative is to use a specially made desoldering bit* and a high powered iron.
After removing the pins, you need to clear out the holes. These will be "plated through" which means that there is a metal tube - to which the solder is wetted - all the way through. A good solder sucker and patience is needed. Only if you have the aforementioned desoldering bit* can you even hope to melt the solder in the holes and slip the new connector in - ie, unless the connector can be fully positioned without effort have you got the holes clean enough.

* Think, big lump of copper, flat face, and holes or slots to fit all the pins simultaneously.

Considering that there are people who will do the job for you, for less than the cost of the equipment needed (if you buy decent stuff), and won't leave you with the cost of a replacement logic board - then I;d suggest you;d be better off getting it done professionally.

Or use hot air. Helps just to preheat.

And no, that doesn't mean blast it with a paint stripper. I know people are thinking that, and I hope you like sneezing out 0402s.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back