Where to find neutral at lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi so no neutrals at my switches and years ago electrician changed from pendants to recessed downlighting. So where would you look for the neutrals, should they be at the old junctions of the pendants ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would say if it was done properly, there should not really be any inaccessible joints where the old pendant was, easy to do maintenance free joints have not been around that long, so it is possible there is a joint there, but its likely non compliant.
If you want just a Neutral there will be one at each downlight obviously, if you can locate the first downlight on the circuit, you may locate the supply neutrals origin

I would say if it was done properly, there should not really be any inaccessible joints where the old pendant was, easy to do maintenance free joints have not been around that long, so it is possible there is a joint there, but its likely non compliant.
If you want just a Neutral there will be one at each downlight obviously, if you can locate the first downlight on the circuit, you may locate the supply neutrals origin
This is on top floor flat so have access to the attic and junction boxes at the old central light fitting. Can I ask can I just go for the easiest light fitting and pick up a neutral from there ?

Sponsored Links
This is on top floor flat so have access to the attic and junction boxes at the old central light fitting. Can I ask can I just go for the easiest light fitting and pick up a neutral from there ?
An Attic changes things then, i was assuming the wires would be under the floor, he may have pulled the old pendant wires into the loft, but unfortunately many dont and bodge onto the old ceiling rose below which sometimes then gets boarded over, with a lower false ceiling.

If the downlights are visible in the loft then obviously its not boarded over, but be prepared to possibly find a lashup where the old pendant was.
As you say you need to look above in the loft
I do not see no reason why you cannot take the Neutral from any downlight, though the cable will need to be insulated and sheathed as well as contain an Earth, I do not recall any reg preventing you using normal 1 or 1.5 T+E and just not using the Brown core

Will be off the same circuit I asked in another thread about borrowing a neutral and then found out my lights are split in two between two breakers in the cu

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back