Where to fit thermostat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a question about TRVs, room stats and radiators. I did a quick search but was unable to find anything concise.

In our home we have a combi boiler with trvs in all the rooms except in the two bathrooms. I have thought about fitting a wireless timer/thermostat thingy but am unsure which room it should be in. Our living room is quite large and is always cooler than all the other rooms in the house.

Should the room stat be fitted in the living room and the trvs in the other rooms adjusted to make their temps comfortable. Or should i be thinking about fitting more/larger radiator in the livingroom?

Sponsored Links
wireless timer/thermostat can be fitted anywhere if you want it hanging on your wall I would normally say in the hallway, (you can carry it around the house if like). but to stop it getting damaged hang it on the wall,
Next to the combi boiler will be the reciever unit.

You could let the TRV's do the job they're intended to do, (room warms up TRV's shut that rad off) Try setting the TRV's to #3 and see if you like the room temp.

The lounge rad, If its getting HOT and the room is still cold then it's undersized for the room its fitted in (do check to see if it gets hot all the way to the middle bottom, if its cold you've got a circulation problem see forum on powerflushing).

Combi with two bathrooms?
Who 'designed' that for you?

Its a new system, approx 18 months old, there are two radiators in the living room and they are both hot. They do get the living room warm enough but at the same time the other rooms are very warm indeed.

So, if i position the stat in any other room it will turn the boiler off and the living room will still be cold. Can i put the thermostat in the living room then adjust the trvs of each room individually the control heat down a bit.

Sponsored Links
So, if i position the stat in any other room it will turn the boiler off and the living room will still be cold. Can i put the thermostat in the living room then adjust the trvs of each room individually the control heat down a bit.

Correct, But do try this first,,,, On the rooms that are overly hot turn their TRV's down as intended to be used, Say number 3 if they have numbers middle setting if no numbers, this will shut the the rad off when the room gets upto temperature. leaving the lounge rad trv's on full this will over a period of time balance the room & house temperature so that all the house warms to a comfortable temperature.

The room stat is best located in the living room, at a height of 1.5m and on an inside wall away from any draughts and radiators.

You should remove the TRV from the living room rads because if it turns the radiator off at a lower temperature, it can mislead the thermostat into thinking that the house is cooler than it really is.

Utilise the other TRVs in the rest of the house to control individual rooms.

Rich

The room stat is best located in the living room

You can locate it anywhere you like really if you're using TRV's in all other locations in the house.

I would always look for somewhere central to the house to pick up core temperature (often a hallway) but, as I say, it doesn't really make a great deal of difference.

esra_ptrap said:
You can locate it anywhere you like really if you're using TRV's in all other locations in the house.

Yes you can, but in my opinion if you'd like your heating system to be efficient and properly controlled it is best to locate it in the living room. The living room for most of of us it's the room with the TV, but may be a different room for others.

esra_ptrap said:
I would always look for somewhere central to the house to pick up core temperature

You made that up surely? Core to me means most important - core temperature being the living room temperature.

esra_ptrap said:
(often a hallway)

Hallways are subject to draughts especially when the front door is opened, often causing the boiler to fire unnecessarily when CH is on. Hallway temperatures are better controlled by TRVs as they are usually required to be at a lower temperature than other rooms.

average joe - go ahead with your original suggestion.

Rich

P.S.

Stat in kitchen = Wife is cooking dinner - husband is freezing his b***ocks off in the living room.

Stat in bathroom = Husband is in the bath - wife is freezing her t**s off in the living room.

But:

esra_ptrap said:
You can locate it anywhere you like really....as I say, it doesn't really make a great deal of difference.

average joe said:
baxpoti said:
Combi with two bathrooms?
Who 'designed' that for you?

one is just a ensuite from the guest room, rarely used.

Why whats wrong with that ? ive got a combi and two bathrooms , i can run both showers at the same time no problem. 828 Vaillant

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back