Where to get energy for the future

Sponsored Links
I am wishing I had my Monty. Ran on chip oil no worries.

And I fancy a biomass wood burner with back boiler tapped into our water and CH system.

I have a friend who has a biomass wood boiler.

Has a 2 tonne hopper, and costs a fortune to run, he does have a 10 bed mansion, but he spends about 3k per year to run it he said

The price of electricity from wind is lower than had been predicted, and is the cheapest form available.

This would be embarrassing for any government that signed a contract with foreign nukes that are guaranteed to cost us more than the market price.

"According to the Department’s latest electricity generation cost report, offshore wind projects which come online between now and 2030 will produce power at an average cost of £47 per megawatt-hour over the course of their lifetime. BEIS’s previous forecast had placed the figure at £103 per megawatt-hour.

From both being forecast at £64/MWh in 2016, the equivalent figures for onshore wind and large-scale solar have also fallen, to £45/MWh and £39/MWh respectively.

In comparison, BEIS is forecasting that the levelised cost of energy (LCOE) for new gas will reach £82 per megawatt-hour by 2030 and that the LCOE for new nuclear will reach £93 per megawatt-hour within the same timeframe."

https://www.edie.net/news/10/UK-Government-halves-offshore-wind-cost-forecasts/

I think the government recently turned down a big windfarm. Planning application

big ones are going in the sea.

Dogger Bank windfarm will be 3.6GW

https://www.sserenewables.com/offshore-wind/projects/

Compare the two new multifuel Ferrybridge burner stations are about 70MW each.

The former Ferrybridge "C" (coal burning) was about 2GW at its peak.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What a f**k up we are. Most intelligent life form on earth?!? Look at what we've created after centuries to get it right. On the one hand, billionaires getting x% richer month by month, on the other hard working people having to use food banks and deciding whether to heat or eat. Meanwhile politicians, largely to blame, spout their usual garbage to appease the masses. Sad thing is, 9/10 it seems to work.

Maybe we need a global uprising, a REVOLUTION!!! Cause increasingly, the current model ain't working. My heart sank when I saw running along the bottom of the news screen 'It has been announced the UK economy grew by 0.8% last month'

Oh goody, cause we all know if we're not growing the friggin' economy 24/7 then it's a negative. MMmmm, who's getting richer with all this 'growth' ... cause it ain't me.

You do have to wonder sometimes (if you believe in intelligent design) if somebody somewhere is looking down saying: I've given you this massive ball of solar energy, a moon to cause wind and waves, and several large spare planets full of natural resources and all you want to do is bomb each other.

Solar is a good source for many houses.
360w panels are now pretty cheap and battery storage is getting cheaper. Combine that with an EV and you really do dent the nations dependancy on imported energy.

I wonder where the metal bits come from
Siemens is the largest supplier of wind turbines in Europe, with many manufacture and assembly locations including Hull, which employs 1,000 people. Soon to be known as Ørsted, the Danish company employs more than 6,000 people including over 900 in the UK.

:rolleyes:UK ???

My view is that this needs stepping up big time. However they wont be free and care should be taken when costs over life time are mentioned. Borrowed money makes the world go round. I'd hope that life time just means that the "head" needs servicing. It has gears and bearings in it etc however metals don't last for ever. Some last longer than others.

It seems from comments concerning Ukraine that reactors have been modified to prevent the 2 most serious disasters. Leaving this near miss sort of put down to stupidity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Mile_Island_accident

Have you ever felt the draft you get off those wind turbines ? ;)

Have you ever felt the draft you get off those wind turbines ? ;)
No but have heard they are good at mincing birds. Anyway if they extract energy from wind ..................................

Wind power is great right up until the point the wind stop blowing.

The future is a combination of renewables and nuclear with shale gas and North Sea oil and gas as the fill in whilst we build enough nuclear.

Proven to be a non starter...

And a water pollution hazard...

Tidal would be a reliable source, but the tories put a stop to further research/implementation (n)
I agree tidal would be good, but why has shale proven to be a non starter? The tanks seem to be doing rather well with it.

Wind power is great right up until the point the wind stop blowing.

Yes, it's a shame there's no way of moving electricity around the country from Dogger Bank or Cornwall or the Western Isles or the Scottish Highlands or the Yorkshire Moors or Norfolk. Somebody should run some cable around. We could call it the "National Grid"

Even better would be if it was possible to run cables to other countries with different weather. We could swap energy according to needs and availability. We could call them "Interconnects." Do you think there could ever be interconnects with, say, France, Holland and Ireland? And Norway? And Belgium? it would be great if we could find some way of forming a co-operative group of nations with common interests, ready to help each other for mutual benefit. Somebody ought to start one, and we could join.

In times to come, there might be places that have large expanses of empty land with guaranteed sunshine where solar panels could be installed in huge numbers. Do you think the Sahara is sunny?

What's the distance from Gibraltar to North Africa? Is it less than the distance our existing interconnects run?

Considering problems as nuke does have them I wonder about wind backed up by gas but that can't last for ever.

The other aspect is what capacity is needed to account for low or no wind.

;) It's cheaper to insulate us than a house. :ROFLMAO: I still have my arctic gear from working in Sweden at cold times of the year.

Insulation figures in plans what ever they do.

Sponsored Links
Back