Where to get large j-hooks or similar?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

I have recently been putting up a number of large mirrors and pictures in our house. For the mirrors i have used j-hooks (similar to http://www.southbankart.co.uk/j-hooks.html) and these work well and feel much more secure than just using screws.

I have a large picture (i think 15 - 20kg) in a curved frame which means the strap hangers sit about 1 - 2 cm away from the wall. As a result the standard j hooks don't stick out far enough (and all j-hooks seem to be almost exactly the same size even from different manufacturers). I can obviously use 2 long screws and sit the strap hangers on them but i am worried about the strength as it's a large picture and the screws will have to stick out of the wall by a few CM with all weight sitting on them.

As a result i wanted to see what you would all suggest to put the picture up? Ideally does anyone know of anywhere i can get larger jhooks that i could use or else is there another solution other than using 2 screws?

Thanks so much,

Dave

Sponsored Links
Hey everyone,

I have recently been putting up a number of large mirrors and pictures in our house. For the mirrors i have used j-hooks (similar to http://www.southbankart.co.uk/j-hooks.html) and these work well and feel much more secure than just using screws.

I have a large picture (i think 15 - 20kg) in a curved frame which means the strap hangers sit about 1 - 2 cm away from the wall. As a result the standard j hooks don't stick out far enough (and all j-hooks seem to be almost exactly the same size even from different manufacturers). I can obviously use 2 long screws and sit the strap hangers on them but i am worried about the strength as it's a large picture and the screws will have to stick out of the wall by a few CM with all weight sitting on them.

As a result i wanted to see what you would all suggest to put the picture up? Ideally does anyone know of anywhere i can get larger jhooks that i could use or else is there another solution other than using 2 screws?

Thanks so much,

Dave
J hooks , No stronger as they are secured by screws, weaker as they are thinner gauge metal than screws.
Large gauge screws will be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back