where to get real wood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Where is the best place to get hold of woods such as Walnut, Oak, Maple etc. I am looking for a solid piece about 450mm square by abot 50mm thick. I could make it up from smaller wood stock but not even sure where the best place to buy this is.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Dave

I recently bought a load of Oak to make some steps and I got it from a sawmill. You are getting it from as close to the source as possible so you cut out a lot of middle men, believe me it was a lot cheaper.

I just did a google search then emailed a few with my requirements and picked the cheapest. They will cut a piece to your exact size or provide a larger piece and you can cut it down yourself.

Hope this helps

I am looking for a solid piece about 450mm square by abot 50mm thick.

depending on what you want it for, doesn't sound very practical, and will be hard to obtain a section that size.

If it doen't need to be stable you could ask a tree surgeon, they usually bring trees down in sections, and cut the trunks into rings.

I have a 3ft diameter oak ring in my garden, but it's fresh so I won't be able to do anything useful with it for several years.

I have a 3ft diameter oak ring in my garden, but it's fresh so I won't be able to do anything useful with it for several years.[/quote]

You do have a big ring. ;)

The solid wood bit is not so important as long as I can get a solid wood look. I am making a 40mm thick plinth with 1” radius corners. Veneering MDF etc would be ok for the top but the sides and corners would not give the impression of solid wood. The only way I can see is to use either solid wood kitchen worktop or make the block out of smaller pieces and then veneer the top only. I wouldn’t think that the block construction at the ends would not be too obvious. Is this the best way to do this?

I did some chunky shelves recently using worktop offcuts, to get the round edge I cut a curve (upside down cup 'n' pencil) in a scrap of mdf for a template using a jiggy. Used a template router bit (multiple passes) with hte mdf clamped in place, and finished with a rounding over bit.

Worktop was only about 28mm though or thereabouts. Your problem will be tracking down an offcut without buying a whole length.

What about a couple of sheets of timberboard, glued n screwed from underneath?

Yep. I think this is the route I am going to go. After looking at all the options and comments here, this is the most hassle free way of doing it and I don't have to worry about veneer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back