Where to put mortice lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to fit a new door in my porch and want to know where to put the mortice. Any advice gratefully received. Don't flame me if I have just asked the most stupid question. I have searched and there is conflicting information.

So almost every door I can think of has the mortice lock of a front door into the rail of the door. Is this truly the correct place for it as fitting it involves chopping out a big chunk of the tenon.

The door looks similar to this and is mortice and tenon construction.
Richmond+Unfinished+Wood+Front+Door.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you only have one lock on the door, about half way up and avoid the tenon.

If you will have, and actually use, two, put one a third up from the bottom and one a third down from the top, and avoid the tenon. This is common when a nightlatch is fitted, but most householders get into the lazy habit of not using the deadlock, to make life easier for burglars.

The 3G220 is the best narrow mortice deadlock I know.

Thanks John for a swift reply. I will avoid the tenon. I should have been more clear I will actually need a mortice latch and lock (if that's the right term) to have a lock and a door handle. I have one that will fit in the centre of the style (the vertical bit).

Good challenge on whether I would use two locks, almost certainly not as it's a porch with nothing in apart from smelly trainers. Right now it's the place delivery drivers can dump their stuff if I'm not in.

very similar to john d
if you are fitting a replacement door in a frame you will go by what is there
i tend to ignore the top 6-8" but go 1/3 and 2/3 from that point so on a 6ft6" door would be 2ft and 4ft down or up
a yale lock at 4ft up is more natural in my opinion and a mortice lock at 2ft up whilst a bit low places the locks in a position along with a bolt at 12-18" up and at 6ft to best resist a 6ft person barging the door
but to be fair its personal choice so no right or wrong

Sponsored Links
More conflicting info, when I was in joinery college I was taught that the lever handle should be 1m from the bottom of the door so when marking out draw a line on the edge of the door 1m up and place the lock on the edge of the door with the line you drew striking through the middle of the square hole for the spindle

"Sashlock"
...and at 6ft to best resist a 6ft person barging the door...
But they barge with the shoulder, not the head.

I admit I do it by eye and until I read your post it never struck me that "a third up from the bottom" means 2'2"

Mine are at "hand height" and "shoulder height"

I must measure later.

"Sashlock"

But they barge with the shoulder, not the head.

I admit I do it by eye and until I read your post it never struck me that "a third up from the bottom" means 2'2"

Mine are at "hand height" and "shoulder height"
we all have our own theories

I must measure later.
we all have our own theories and standards :D
its only really on new builds where its dictated as we will always replicate what is there:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back