Where to start with an extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are considering getting our house extended, but we have lots of questions, and no idea where to start.
We have some rough thoughts about what we want to do, but dont know if they are feasible.
We have no idea how much such a project might cost - IE is the whole idea just a pipe dream ?
And I dont know where to start.
What I really want is for someone to come round, have a look, talk about our ideas, give us a _rough_ price - and generally set the ball rolling.
But I dont want this first step to cost much (well, anything actually). I dont want to shell out loads on plans being drawn and submitted, if either they are not practical, or we cant afford the whole job.
Who do I speak to ? Any advice very gratefully received,

Sponsored Links
Well I have to tell you that, As you probably know, you need planning permission, and plans. Sideline about 600 quid for the lot, and that's before you buy a brick!
Don't chance going ahead without it because if you get collared, you will need at the very least retrospective planning permission, so it will cost you anyway, at worst, you might have to pull the whole thing down! An extension is only cheap(ish) if you can do a lot of the graft yourself. If you can't it will be expensive. Bank on it.

And what's more, (logged in this time) I built a porch, ok, all brick, nice 3 sided roof, double glazed windows. But, it still cost me a grand, and that was 4 years ago, and I didn't need planning permission, or plans, and I did every last bit of the work myself, start to finish. Labour is very expensive.

If you first think of the actual size and sort of extension you are thinking of, simply calling round a couple of builders for quotes will give you a rough guide, most will come around and qoute you free of charge.
Doing the ground work yourself can save a small fortune on the price, most people can dig a big hole and lay foundations (as long as they meet the local council spec of course.

Sponsored Links
If you think you've got the price right - and need to take out a second mortgage to help cover the payments (as we did) - remember to add another £500+ for valuation, solicitors fees, plus finding the best mortgage deal at the time - as big a job as the extension itself! ..in fact I found that part more stressful!!

Your probable best bet would be to contact somebody locally that draws up this kind of scheme, ask people that you know have had work done, who did their plans ? you could always approach the Local Authority to see if they have an Approved List, and if they have a website you may be able to view plans that have been submitted.

You DO NOT have to go to an Architect, they are V.V.expensive and do not always come up with the goods!

If you have someone in mind, ask if they charge for an initial consultation.

Ask to see work that they have done recently and ask for referees.

If you get several people to quote for the plans, ask to see what you will get, also bear in mind that some proposals require the services of a Structural Engineer, ask if this would be included.

Most building jobs cost in the region of 500.00 - 750.00 per sq.metre [about 50.00 - 75.00 per sq.ft] dependent on the area created, this can be more or less.

I had a 2 story extension built about 5 years ago. I am not into DIY of that magnitude and so I employed a surveyor who was also an architect and had the whole thing specified. Yeah he was expensive and cost me 15% of the contract value plus vat.
But... I never had to deal with a builder.
We went out to tender and got five builders to give estimates. The prices varied from £30000 to £58000. We chose one at £38000 and had a formal small works contract WITH PENALTIES for late work and RETENTIONS. My 15% architect/surveyor was the best 15% I have ever spent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back