Where to start..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am looking to tile my bathroom at weekend, just a quick question, do I start with the floor or walls? Or does it not matter? Many thanks in advance
G

Sponsored Links
I would start from the walls. It is not a good idea to walk on your newly tiled floor while the adhesive is still wet. And if you don't have much experience with tiling, I can tell you it is a messier job than you expect :) And if you are tiling floor to ceiling + the floor, a weekend might be not enough.

tile walls first,but leave the bottom course off,..tile floor leave a gap off about 3mm-5mm around perimeter between wall and floor tiles(exspansion)..then fix your bottom course off tiles to wall again leave a gap between wall tiles and floor tiles 3-5mm then use a good quality silicone(dow) around room.

tile walls first,but leave the bottom course off,..tile floor leave a gap off about 3mm-5mm around perimeter between wall and floor tiles(exspansion)..then fix your bottom course off tiles to wall again leave a gap between wall tiles and floor tiles 3-5mm then use a good quality silicone(dow) around room.

Yes tictic I saw this method used in Germany it really does look neat and tidy they used a Grey silicone. :D

Sponsored Links

Sorry for jumping in but this answers one of the questions I had so thanks tictic :D

Another question I have is do you recommend using a damp proof membrane (or something) for a bathroom floor?

We will be tiling on to a wooden floor (modern house), it's a standard bathroom (not a wet room) with bath etc. We plan to use porcelain tiles and Mapei grout.

Thanks in advance and apologies again for hijacking thread.

Tony

when you say "wooden floor" is it a wbp ply overboard?..floorboards/chipboard?

Good point, it looks like chipboard, it has a green coating and the joints are sealed with yellow tape. Where we removed the shower tray it looks to have an additional green layer which is stuck down.

Good point, it looks like chipboard, it has a green coating and the joints are sealed with yellow tape. Where we removed the shower tray it looks to have an additional green layer which is stuck down.

ok its moisture resistant chipbopard...no good for tile fixing to.

first off all what are your joist spacing...you will see were its nailed/screwed down,using a tape measure see what the spacing is..i.e.350mm-+..etc.

this additional layer your talking about will have to be removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back