where to stop, how to join

Dont know about the correct joint but he has no legal right to touch your side of the gutter without your permission, any joint he does with your permission has to be correct and leak proof----get it in writing off him Lynn

Sponsored Links
I have been watching for you to come back to me. lol
I have just driven round the estate, the jobs they have done are the same, council gutters are 1 inch higher than the ones they are fitting so they have cut them all, Geeeez I wonder if I'm the only one moaning, mind you Mike, it wouldn't have bothered me had the brown square gutter not been a foot into my property.
Should I just shut up and put up?
P.S what does concern me is... it's a 0800 telephone number, no address or anything, once they have left the area we will never see them again ( 10 year guarantee or not )
Lynn

1) Cutting it isn't so bad. But the dodgy strap/join they have used is unacceptable.
2) Where was the join before? On the boundary?
3) Surely they should have tried to effect a join on the boundary to prevent the clash of colours with the fascia boards?

Mike

The union that they took away was on my side, but closer to the boundary than it is now, all they had to do was use another piece of the round gutter ( which they have tons of in their van ) and make the join in the correct place, surely that isn't too much to ask.
They started the job on the far side of my neighbours house, ( the lady next door had hers done too ) so that side is all neat and tidy, with the correct square to square union.
Lynn

Sponsored Links
Lynn have you ever thought they may be tring to sway you into having your gutter done at the same time ????

Ha Ha little mind reader you are, he has asked me 3-4 times to have mine done, and the price keeps going down, it started at £550, now its £475. I liked the saying a member used on another thread... pay peanuts.... get monkeys rofl.
Oh I just called Trading Standards, they told me he had no right at all to cut and alter my gutter,( only to cut to the required length) or to place the new brown gutter over onto my property.
My neighbour now has a moody on with me, because the boss told her there was nothing wrong with the gutters, I'm darn sure he is going to admit to her that they bodged it up.
Grrrrrrrr
P.S still waiting for them to come back
Lynn :mad:

the jointer and strap shown in the picture is for jointing to half round cast iron gutter. The correct jointer should have a rubber seal and not be sealed with silicone.Silicone will not seal because of the expansion and contraction of the gutter.

Thanks bikerm4. I had that conversation with the boss this morning, I ranted on about plastic expanding and contracting, his answer " silicone will move with it and keep the seal " I also said that different plastics would expand and contract at a different rates, his answer... " I have been doing this for 11 years, how much experience do you have lady " Well enough to know it looks a flippin mess and its on my property.I showed him a pic of the union I thought he should have used ( sort of a double skin, with channels that the gutter would slide into, with two black rubber seals, his answer.... " thats what's fitted " geeeez I'm fighting a loosing battle here.
Lynn

Do you both have downpipe each or does it goes to one downpipe only?

(downpipe is where the rainwater drain away from the outlet)

Do you know which way the fall is?

Hi Masona, can't tell which way the fall is, husband has a laser level we can check it out. As for the drain pipes we don't have any, but either side do..... what would that tell you ?
Thanks Lynn

I was thinking if you put a stop end on your neighbour gutter and you put a outlet with a drainpipe and drain it to your new soakaway or make it fall to the other downpipe.

OK I got ya. I was sat here this morning thinking and getting mad about the whole thing, and it occurred to me they never even used a line or level to put the fascia or gutters up, the fascia were pushed hard up and they counted 6 roof tiles to space the hangers, and thew the gutters on them, can't wait to see what the laser level has to say because I had birds bathing in my gutter yesterday, i have never noticed them doing that before.
The joint they used is an internal one, that must be causing a bit of a hump in the gutter, plus if they don't have the correct fall...Geeeeez I'm going to have nightmares soon.
Oh I heard the guy that runs the show is a gypsy, now wouldn't that be the icing on the cake.
Thanks
Lynn

Thank you so much everyone for all the help and advice. Well the people who did the gutters have left the estate, and didn't call back to rectify the problem ( I knew they wouldn't ) now I'll just wait for the things to leak and then my neighbour will have to get it sorted out.(((QUICK)))
Thanks again
Lynn

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back