Where's the cheapest place to buy PVC conduit (non trade)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently got an allotment and there is a problem with rabbits. Most plot holders have timber framed chicken mesh barriers around their vegetable beds, made from roofing laths and chicken mesh.

In the US they use conduits, which I think looks better and would probably last longer. I'll make up panels of approx size 3m x 0.6m and simply join at the corners with cable ties

My question therefore is where is the best (ie cheapest) place to buy conduit and fittings (90 degree bends and T pieces)

Not being an electrician I don't think I could buy from the normal trade suppliers.

thanks in anticipation for any help

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Got mine from CPC, dirt cheap too! (much cheaper than the local DIY store!

http://cpc.farnell.com

thank you ... they look pretty cheap.

I am just wondering though, can you not buy plain elbows / T pieces without the inspection facility. No doubt it would be cheaper, as I would need quite a few.

No doubt plumbing fittings would work, but I think plumbing pipe is normally sold in rolls, rather than long lengths.

I am just wondering though, can you not buy plain elbows / T pieces without the inspection facility. No doubt it would be cheaper, as I would need quite a few.

Sadly, I had this same issue with the elbows, and I did enquire; but they don't do these. In the end I ended up using some old bits that I had lying around :)

No doubt plumbing fittings would work, but I think plumbing pipe is normally sold in rolls, rather than long lengths.
Overflow pipe and fittings are in the style you want:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/Overflow/d20/sd2908

The pipe is sold in 3m lengths, same as the conduit, and is a similar price.

Note that it is slightly different size to the electrical conduit, so either buy one or the other - not a mixture.

The pipe is sold in 3m lengths, same as the conduit, and is a similar price.

Woah, the website says its in 30m lengths!! Must need a BIG lorry to deliver those :LOL:

//edit, or have they just got a m missing off that as in 30mm diameter?

You cannot get a plain elbow Afaik,
They do make a bend called a "sweep bend" but its a lot bigger, the only alternative to a T is a besa box T but again a lot bigger and you would then proberly need to buy a lid for it

Woah, the website says its in 30m lengths!! Must need a BIG lorry to deliver those :LOL:

//edit, or have they just got a m missing off that as in 30mm diameter?

:)

No its in packs of 10 lenghts 21.5mm diameter (3metre each length)
TEN x 3METRE lenghts = 30 Metres total

I use black conduit for frames for decorative lighting and have found it necessary to stiffen the conduit with wooden dowel rod. Otherwise the frames can warp.

The conduit appears to be weakened when jointed with solvent welding and a short bit of dowel through the joint area over comes that problem

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/Overflow/d20/sd2908[/QUOTE]
The only thing I'd caution the OP on is using this with singles, if that is the plan of course. Running singles in conduit provides the "double or reinforced" protective measure necessary for fault protection, to what would otherwise be single insulated cables provided with only basic protection. Electrical conduit is designed and tested for this purpose.

If you can't demonstrate that the pipe meets the equivalent requirements for fault protection of singles, do not use it to provide your protective measure.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/Overflow/d20/sd2908[/QUOTE]
The only thing I'd caution the OP on is using this with singles, if that is the plan of course. Running singles in conduit provides the "double or reinforced" protective measure necessary for fault protection, to what would otherwise be single insulated cables provided with only basic protection. Electrical conduit is designed and tested for this purpose.

If you can't demonstrate that the pipe meets the equivalent requirements for fault protection of singles, do not use it to provide your protective measure.

Read the OP because you haven't.

He wants lengths of plastic pipe to make a frame to stop rabbits eating his veg. Where do fault protection and electricity come into it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back