Which Alarm System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am want to install an alarm system to my home, not sure where to start and have a few questions/ requirements of the system which hopefully someone can help with

Wireless or wired? I have the option for both as am renovating the whole house and the downstairs is still to do so wire could be put in. I'm assuming the wireless sensors are battery powered so roughly how often do batteries need changing

Text Alert! I want a system that will alert me or partner or whoever by way of text message if/when the alarm is triggered. Mainly due to the fact people tend to ignore alarms but secondly as not to annoy my neighbours if it goes off all the time.

Is there a system that also has a sensor that doubles as a camera so it can be checked online to double check it has not gone off accidentally and avoid a trip home to check or phone call to the police.

Finally which system should I go for, and what are the difference between cheaper systems and more expensive type.

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
If renovating and you can conceal wires, then I would always advise a wired system over wireless. With wired, you can choose almost any type of 12V detector, whereas you are pretty much tied to the panel vendor (and their sensor prices) with wireless. You also don't have to worry about radio paths, jamming and batteries.

There are various panels that support self monitoring for SMS Etc. I use the Honeywell Galaxy and have an IP module fitted for this and receive full alarm cause. I would recommend that you either go for a GSM dialler or IP. I wouldn't recommend anything that uses a digi MODEM to dial up an SMS receiver, as they're not reliable enough. GSM gives a radio path, so if phone lines are vulnerable, then it may be worth looking at it. Be prepared to pay more than your panel for a decent module though.

I'm not that up to speed on the latest IP cameras that combine with PIR. Someone else may be able to help with that. Most of what I've seen are cheap unbranded devices, and I wouldn't advise on cheap PIR's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back