Which Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Recently got burgled, overnight whilst we all were sleeping upstairs. They decided to take most items from downstairs like the plasa screen, keys, money, handbag, etc etc

Ive been looking into House Alarms and so confused which one to go for.

The ones I have on my list are;

ESP Infinite Prime
PowerMax Plus
Texecom - not sure which model number as there’s so many to choose from
Cooper Security Scantronic

Can anyone recommend which is a good alarm system. My basic requirements would be:

I would like an alarm system that has a good variety of add on modules like
GSM Module
Internet/ Ethernet module
Comms etc etc

Any guidance will be much appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
off-topic I know, but have you also sorted out your locks, bolts and gates?

must have been traumatic

how did they get in?

Yes, they have all been changed. Thats the first thing I did.

They got in through the main door, simply walked in. I have a double glazing door and the police mentioned you can buy a tool from ebay which opens double glazing doors. So literally they simply walk in.

Was traumatic, have 4 kids sleeping in their own rooms on the first and loft. We usualy dont go to sleep till about midnight and I get up at 6 to get ready for work. Police also mentioned there was a total of 6 robberies that night and all of them had double glazing doors.

do you mean a plastic front door with a Eurocylinder, or do you mean Patio doors?

Sponsored Links
Yes thats right, plastic door with the Eurocylinder. Its my main front door.

Coming back to the orginal question, any suggestions on which alarm system to go for.......any recommendations

Any suggestions........ :rolleyes:

or are the above mentioned alrams not recommened at all.........

are you going to fit the system yourself ?

if you are all of the abiove are good ssytems,

personally i steer away from wireless, that is pureley as we dont really like em, it does not meen that tyhey are not aany good.

but a fully wired system is a better option with nearly all installations

the Texecom range are very good
Scantronic are also very good and rather easy to fit and program

what does your insurance company say, are they asking for a system or is this just to satisfy your own sense of security of your house, either way talk to them and ask them if they want a monitored system or bells only! also what discount can you have for having it fitted !

if it is an insurance requiremnt you should then ask three local companies (stick to the smaller companies as the service and back will be better).

John

Hi John

Thanks for getting back to me.

Personally I would prefer a WIRED system Im not a big fan of Wireless even though I work in the field of IT.

I cant seem to find a good wired system and everyone seems to be pointing to the above mentioned systems which are all wireless or part wireless.

Its not a Insurance requirement, just for my personal benefit hence why Im installing it also I would be installing it in myself.

I do like the Texecon stuff, again arent all there stuff wireless as well.

Whats your opionion in terms of having all wireless sytems, Part wirless were the bell and control panel are hard wireded and sensors are all wireless, or all wired system.

also if you can point me to a good wired system which has the Internet connection, GSM module and any other good add ons which allows expandability in future.

Thanks

well on that score we use honeywell galaxy but it aint cheap but there are so many add ons that you can include.

most of the panels come with a digicom built in, some have the facility of text to you mobile (usualy the G2 range)

but we use the Dimension range and the G3 range,
base ssytem on the Dimension comes with the abilty of 48 zones (min 8 on board, with the view to expand) the G2 comes with 12 or 20 zone availabilty.

add ons include
RF module for wireless
on board comms connection
on board lan connection

you can find out so much more online about the Gaalxy range

but also remember that the Texacom range also has a hell of alot of addisions as well, look them up and decide.

wwe prefer to hard wire ALL devices, in that way you only have a couple of potential faults
the device
the panel
the cable

and or course the engineer !!!!

ask around with friends and mates to find out what they have, but as we all say GOOGLE them and find out more.
most of the large comapnies (nationals) use galaxy, that says it all really, but as i said Texacom are also very good and there keypads are superb.
real nice looking kit.

john

For heaven's sake - it's a glorified doorbell. Forget the add-ons and use a Texecom R8. One button set - and forget.

joe 90

glorified doorbell, please explain the last post?

door chime is avialble on most intruder alarm systems if programmed by the installing engineer,
and yes you can program the set push to act as a door bell. but it is not reccomended

Can't be bothered mate. I've installed over 1000 alarms and never found need for bells and whistles.

Hi Oasistechnical,

Ive searched for the alarms you recommended, the Texecon and the G2/G3 as well the Dimensions.

I think Im now even more confused then ever with so many more options and the Honewell panels are really big. Are these for home use?

Any chance you can put a quick list together in terms of what I need and should be looking for.

Most of my mates, family have stuck to the wireless sytems, they have the Infinite Prime or the Yale. Majority of them are running the Infinite Prime.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back