Which Alarm

if you just want a basic system with the abilty to call you (on mobile or landline).

all you need is a base unit (end station) were all the cabling goes
a remote keypad, or two if you want one upstairs

door contact to front and rear doors

pir sensors to all rooms downstairs (other than the loo or bathroom if on the lower floor)

PA button to front door and master bedroom

live (noisy) sounder strobe to front
decoy to rear
internal speaker siren in the house, top floor landing

and a speech dialler to be connected to the phone line

thats the basic system
but it is your choice as to what control panel you use, the texacom should be the easiest for a DIYer, the galaxy is a large panel ussually used in small domestic installs to large houses and commercial uses.

even tho certian people have installed loads of systems that dont have bells and whistles, we are quite happy to fit what the customer requires to ensure they are safe and secure and that the system complies with the insurance reccomendations (if any) if they want lots of add ons we will fit them. and have done.

but it is up to you what you fit, we favour the galaxy (as you cant guess) but the teacom is a good make, a very good make.

if you need any further advice, just ask

Sponsored Links
I agree with oasis galaxy is a good unit but If you are installing yourself then the veritas range is quite easy to follow.

Thanks Guys

Ive been looking into the Galaxy system which has narrowed it done for me.

But the downside is theres so many models to choose from. Any chance you guys can advise me what a suitable model is for a domestic house. The items that I would be after is what Oasistechnical mentioned earlier on.

As its a one time investment, I dont want to make the wrong choice hence all the help will be appreciated.

Thanks

the G2 20 should do you fine, it has 8 zones onboard and the ability to extend further using a RIO (remote in out module)

you will need either one or two galaxy mark 7 keypad with either PROX reader or not, (depends on whether you are going to use proximity tokens for setting and unsetting)

also the unit comes with built in SMS messaging (you will need your airtime providers message centre number to use this)

or you can just connect a speech dialler to the required output on the panel

do be aware this is not the easiest panel to set up and program, but we are here to guide you through it.

then you will need to cable your property.

unlike the older galaxy panel you will not need Beldan cable to feed your keypads (but we still do anyway, just habit really).
4 core cable to each PIR and door contact, PA button
6 core tot eh external siren unit (you will only need 5 cores to the external siren unit)
two cores for the door contacts, PA buttons, 4 core for the PIRs

always feed each device with one 4 core cable, and bring them back tot he end station (control panel)

you can feed from the end station (control panel) to the keypad, and then from the keypad to the next and then to the RIO as required,
you will have to address the keypads to 0 for the first one and 1 for the second keypad etc.

but you can always ask, thats what we are here for

john

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys

Just a quick question:

With the Galaxy range, how do you set the alarm is done via a Prox tag or do you have a remote key fob. Ive been searching the net and couldnt find any key fobs.

Personal perferance would be a key fob......

prox tags or user code

galaxy can be set via an external reader (MAX reader) but we dont fit them in domestics.

John

Hi John/ ALL

I think I've narrowed down the system I would like to go for

Texecom...... I know you did mention this earlier on, but just to get your opinion again do you think this is a good system for the domestic arena as well as easy to use and install.

Also just to confirm is this a hard wired system?

What sort of components do I need for this, will it be similar to the G2, i.e. Control Panel, Access key pad, detectors and external bell.

I think if I read this right, this comes with the Remote Key Fob, SMS, Speech dialler.

Premier 816 Plus or Premier 24 Control Panel
Premier Elite Keypad
Prestige AMQD Plus - For the Sensors.

USB interface connector
Key-fob programmer
Speech Dialler
GSM Module
Odyssey Bell Sounder

I cant seem to find any magnetic contacts for the doors/ windows and also the keyfobs itself.

Can you guys please advise if the above system is a good choice or not....

as i said texacom kit is good.

door contacts are standard within the industry, any ones will do,
keyfobs should be available from your supplier.

as with the pir sensors.
good match

the 24 should do you fine

john

Hi

having spoken to Texecom the following items have been put together for my installation

1x Texecom Premier 48 Panel
2x Texecom Premier LCDL Large Character RKP - Flush Satin Chrome
2x Texecom Ricochet Wireless Magnetic Contact -W - GBC-0001
3x Texecom Ricochet Premier Smartkey Wireless Iconic Keyfob - GCC-0001 
8x Texecom Prestige AMDT Plus Dual tech PIR Detector
1x Texecom Premier GSM Module JAE-001
1x Texecom VOD001 Premier Speech Dialler
1x Texecom Remote Microphone Unit
1x Texecom Odyssey 5 Compact Sounder and Cover

do you agree with the above setup and also does anyone have a manual for this installation as it will help me do the background Reading.

Finally just to confirm all wiring will be terminated into the control panel, how far does this need to be located and will it need a dedicated fuse in the fusebox. If so as new electrical wiring is being laid this can be taken into consideration.

Appreciate all your help and assistance.

Thanks

dont you need a wireless receiver for this as well ???

or does the 48 have it onboard??

i will leave this one for the engineers here who fit more of this than i do !!!!

yep you do require an UBNSWITCHED fuse spur with a 3 amp fuse at the point as to were you are going to put the end station (main control box)

were you put that is up to you, but please do not put it in the roof void, the change of temperature is not good for it.

John

I know it's pretty expensive. After doing some google searches it was ranging from 900-1k

I was pretty shocked myself unless anyone can get it cheaper

what I will do is purchase the main kit then the add on's like the gsm dialler, microphone etc etc can be added on at a later stage.

I was told the 48 has it onboard so no need for an extra receiver.

They also told me it does not one with a manual and it's not meant for te home DIYer.

Is this kit difficult to install..... I would say I'm pretty clued up with most things, but haven't installed an alarm kit.

Anyone have a manual for this installation.

You can spend a hundred quid on a basic system and get all the protection of spending a grand or more.

A week ago you had no alarm and now you are just being plain terrified into getting a load of kit that won't stop some junkie breaking in any more than a simple bells only system.

If the house has an alarm and Mr Crim decides to ignore it - he'll ignore it. It matters not whether it's going to text you or call out the National Guard - he's MADE UP HIS MIND.

Spend the money on locks and general good security practice.

if you contact the supplier of the kit your are buying, they maybe able to get you an engineer manual before you fit it,

remember you have to cable the job first.

it tests 85% of convicted house burglers will not target a property with a legitamate intruder aalrm fitted,

yes ensure your property is physically secure, fitting an alarm is the next thing to do.

basic rule of thumb,

if you purchase a £100.00 system you will get what you pay for
if you purchase a £1000.00 system you will also get what you pay for.

i personally will not use the likes of accenta, Yale, Concept, Securitech
and all those cheap and cheerful DIY, buy from your electrical wholesaler, sort of kit.

we as a company will only fit graded, and trusted equipment, we have to satisfy insurance companies, but as a householder you can fit what you want to fit, and yes the kit you are fitting is proffessional quality, and it is bloody good as well.

so if you choose to ignore wat certain people say, then all well and good.

oh and by the way, i had my first house burgarised two weeks after i had bought it, so i know exactly what you are feeling.

john
and yes i am a proffesional alarm installer, with over 25 years experience and over 2000 systems installed to date.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back