which alarms best?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at fitting an alarm to my 2 bed flat. What system is best, what are the wireless systems like these days?
I'm an electrician so these shouldn't be a proplem for me to install although I have not fitted one before.
Ideally i'd still like to keep wiring to a minimum so not to have cables running though the flat.
Are the wireless systems any good?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Wired are cheaper to buy.
Its really 50/50 these days between wired or wirefree... For something that could last 20yrs then wired. For something you can take with you to your next place wirefree.
Unfortunately with a flat it costs more than a small house if its ground floor as you have more window access.

He'll say YALE.

IMO, there is no such thing.

Stick with a wired alarm, and youll have years of trouble free alarming.

Sponsored Links
if your not wanting to go the wired route have a look at the visonic powermax plus . its a good piece of kit and not over priced. you can get them on ebay as well. we`ve fitted quite alot of them and never had any problems. ignore comments from other users saying wireless is ****e. they don`t know what there any about. practically every manufactuer is making wireless stuff now as its the way to go.

Thanks dirkdangler, that system looks pretty good. Think I'll go with it. Cheers

no bother. if you get stuck with anything, you know where to find me. cheers

Wireless should be the last resort! Wired is much better! If I had to install wireless, one of my choices would be the powermax.

ignore comments from other users saying wireless is s***te. they don`t know what there any about.

Having worked for 12 years in design of radio communication systems, some of which were to be used in life critical situations, I do what I am about.

practically every manufactuer is making wireless stuff now as its the way to go.

There is a market for wireless alarms and naturally the manufacturers will take advantage of it.

If compared to wired systems then wireless alarms have only ONE advantage, they are quick, simple and easy to install so they are a very attractive IMPULSE buy for someone who needs to obtain or provide a sense of improved security for very little effort.

Wireless alarms have many dis-advantages which the buyer should investigate before buying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back