which belt sander 2 questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi My old belt sander was second hand and packed up so need a new one, and I really need some guidance which one to get. I am making wide frames about 8inches wide and I do other varied woodwork which can be much smaller. Its not my job but I do work with wood a fair bit and I like quality.

So what width belt sander should I go for? Any recomendations? any features I should look out for? Anything else I should know like one of the Mikitas comes with a big clip on base. Worth having or not?

My 2nd question is I used to have a good idea of the quality order of the makes but it seems difficult to tell now. Could someone put them in order now for me as I am not sure if some are even any good anyway and price is not always the guide as sometimes you are paying for the name.

I bought a cheap machine from Makro a long time ago, and it looked great but all I can say is never again. These are the makes I have looked at Dewalt, Bosch, Makita, Ryobi and anything you think worth adding. I think Dewalt are probably high up but I have no idea where Mikita are now but they seem cheaper than Dewalt if they are any good.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Makita probably do the most durable belt sanders. My 9400 is now about 25 years old and still going strong in trade use. And I can still get the bits for it (brushes, graphite pad, cork pad, drive belt, knob, rubber gaiter for flex, etc). A mate of mine bought the 4in PowerPro three years back and has used it for all his joinery work (he's a bench joiner) and it's still going strong, although he had a few problems getting replacement brushes and a graphite pad for it last year. Whatever you get make sure you'll be able to get belts for it. 4 x 24in (100 x 610mm) is a standard size and available from hire shops, tool shops, abrasives suppliers, etc. Other sizes may be more difficult to source

Oh, and 4in covers the ground faster than 3in - a lot faster. And the frame is useful to stop digging in on veneered stuff, but only if you don't have a good technique. Once you've learned to keep the machie moving sideways and forwards all the time a frame is no longer necessary - and the frame stops you getting close into edges and corners and can have a habit of falling off

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back