Which Boiler–Vaillant, Glow-Worm, Worcester? Fit Magnaclean?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing a very old boiler for a new one. This is for a 4 bedroomed house with two showers. It can be a system boiler or an open vent boiler.

I have been recommended Vaillant Ecotec Plus 630, Glow-Worm Ultracom 30 SXI and Worcester Greenstar 30Cdi. Other brands that have been mentioned are Keston, Potterton and Baxi. I am quite confused as to which to choose. Reliability and efficiency are most important. Which one should I go for?

Most of my radiators are 15 years old. Will these radiators cope with a sealed system, or should I go for the open vent (expansion tank) system?

Separately, should I also fit Magnaclean Professional – is this effective and worth it for the cost involved? If you recommend it, should I get a 22mm version or the 28mm version? I appreciate that if one has it installed, the best time for me is now, as the system will be power flushed to fit the new boiler.

Many thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
I am replacing a very old boiler for a new one. This is for a 4 bedroomed house with two showers. It can be a system boiler or an open vent boiler.

I have been recommended Vaillant Ecotec Plus 630, Glow-Worm Ultracom 30 SXI and Worcester Greenstar 30Cdi. Other brands that have been mentioned are Keston, Potterton and Baxi. I am quite confused as to which to choose. Reliability and efficiency are most important. Which one should I go for?

Most of my radiators are 15 years old. Will these radiators cope with a sealed system, or should I go for the open vent (expansion tank) system?

Separately, should I also fit Magnaclean Professional – is this effective and worth it for the cost involved? If you recommend it, should I get a 22mm version or the 28mm version? I appreciate that if one has it installed, the best time for me is now, as the system will be power flushed to fit the new boiler.

Magnaclean - yes, yes, yes! When my installer fitted the Ultracom to my old system he insisted on a power flush first and fitting of a Magnaclean. I have cleaned it out a couple of times and all I can say is that I am glad all the metal muck that it picks up is not getting into my heat exchanger :D

Magnaclean - yes, yes, yes! When my installer fitted the Ultracom to my old system he insisted on a power flush first and fitting of a Magnaclean. I have cleaned it out a couple of times and all I can say is that I am glad all the metal muck that it picks up is not getting into my heat exchanger :D

Thanks for your prompt reply, Rog.

Vaillant ecotec 630 with a flush and magnaclean. The glow worm is a cheaper boiler but still very good. Vaillants are very hard to beat. . . . .

Sponsored Links
If you already have an open vent system then there is a small risk of leaks appearing after pressurising. If you have pipework in concrete floors I would go for another open vent boiler like an ultracom hx to eliminate the risk. If all the pipework is accessible to some degree then a sealed system will be better in the long term. Are you sure you need a 30kw boiler? sounds a bit hefty for 4 bedrooms.
As for keston, I would rather heat my house with a bonfire. Potty & baxi boilers aren't as bad as they used to be but they're just a bunch of borrowed components thrown together to make a budget appliance. I've been very impressed with the Ultracoms so far.

Vaillant ecotec 630 with a flush and magnaclean. The glow worm is a cheaper boiler but still very good. Vaillants are very hard to beat. . . . .

Thanks very much Dangermouse.

Would 15 to 20 year old pipes and radiators cope with a sealed system? Or could there be a potential danger of burst pipes?

I am also told that in a sealed system, if a pipe bursts, the pressure drops and the system is not replenished with water, whereas in an open vent system the water from an expansion tank keeps on filling up (and therefore spilling more water out of the leak, if unattended). Is this true?

you can always air test the pipework to check for leaks before deciding on a sealed system or open vented. Personally I would go for the sealed system as it is less corrosive, quieter and performs better. ;)

If you already have an open vent system then there is a small risk of leaks appearing after pressurising. If you have pipework in concrete floors I would go for another open vent boiler like an ultracom hx to eliminate the risk. If all the pipework is accessible to some degree then a sealed system will be better in the long term. Are you sure you need a 30kw boiler? sounds a bit hefty for 4 bedrooms.
As for keston, I would rather heat my house with a bonfire. Potty & baxi boilers aren't as bad as they used to be but they're just a bunch of borrowed components thrown together to make a budget appliance. I've been very impressed with the Ultracoms so far.

Thanks for the advice, Mickyg.

A couple of the radiators need to be bled every three to four weeks at present. Could this indicate a leak somewhere?

The pipework is accessible except in the kitchen.

On the basis of the above, should I go for the sealed system?

Between Valliant Ecotec Plus 630 and Glow-Worm Ultracom 30 SXI , which one would you recommend for reliability and efficiency?

Thanks again.

A couple of the radiators need to be bled every three to four weeks at present. Could this indicate a leak somewhere?

The pipework is accessible except in the kitchen.

On the basis of the above, should I go for the sealed system?

Between Valliant Ecotec Plus 630 and Glow-Worm Ultracom 30 SXI , which one would you recommend for reliability and efficiency?

Air in the system can be due to a number of reasons, usually because of poor pipework layout in regards to your header tank, or it could be due to corrosion taking place in your system. Both of these issues should be taken care of at install. If most of the pipework is accesible then I would probably go for a sealed system, but I would want to air test as DM suggested before installation.
The ecotec and ultracom are very similar boilers in design and components(they're made by the same company). Some people will tell you the vaillant is better, but as said the ultracom is a really good bit of kit. There really isn't much between them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back