Which Boiler and Heating Pack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought my first flat in London that I am converting into a 4 bed. The whole CH system is old as is the old Glow Warm Boiler (think this was installed 6 or 7 years ago). Am told Worcester Bosch are excellent but pricey. Am thinking of a Potterton 28 ? Any recommendations (its a rental flat, single floor but hopefully 4 residents so needs to be relatively efficient). This seems a minefield and I am on a tight budget. Was hoping to source the whole heating pack inc boiler and copper tubing for less than £1000. Help!

Sponsored Links
sdeferranti said:
Was hoping to source the whole heating pack inc boiler and copper tubing for less than £1000. Help!

That's so funny, I had to go for a pee before replying.

Avoid Potterton

WB are OK, nothing more.

Vaillant marginally better

Veissman slightly better still

Atmos InterCombi - a proper landlord's boiler.

Are you a real landlord or one of the myriad a7seholes who have bought a flat/house on the premise that they can make a quick return on other people's misery?

This seems a minefield and I am on a tight budget

Not a wise investment then was it?!

sdeferranti said:
I have just bought my first flat in London that I am converting into a 4 bed. The whole CH system is old as is the old Glow Warm Boiler (think this was installed 6 or 7 years ago). Am told Worcester Bosch are excellent but pricey. Am thinking of a Potterton 28 ? Any recommendations (its a rental flat, single floor but hopefully 4 residents so needs to be relatively efficient). This seems a minefield and I am on a tight budget. Was hoping to source the whole heating pack inc boiler and copper tubing for less than £1000. Help!

Sounds like you are doing the job yourself.

Do a google search for heat packs. Adjust figures for the fact no fittings, lagging, pipeclips included. Seldom are trv's included. Condensate disposal, roomstat. Boiler may contain a programmer if you are lucky.

Heatpacks usually contain band B boilers which can't cope with much flu resistance so no plume diversion possible. Therefore boiler position critical.

If you aren't doing the job yourself, then ask for supply and fit estimates. You won't save money or get a good installer supplying yourself.

Search this site for advice on the pitfalls of not having the boiler installed by a CORGI person who can notify Building Control.

If you have only budgeted £1000 for boiler and full heating system then I hate to thik what you have budgeted for plastering and redecoration, replacement windows and all the other things you have to spend out.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Plumb centre heat pack for performa 30he 7 rads and trv`s £869... pipe will cost you around £1.30 to £1.60 a metre for 15mm and double that for 22mm mechanical clock £20 , specific filling loop for that appliance £15 . fittings clips flux solder inhibitor condensate bits etc at least another £100.
All this is without vat so as you can see it soon adds up to well over a grand that is without additional flue sections if req.
PTS also do heat packs at a possible cheaper price.. Then you have mr central heating who advertises in the national press from around £700 but this is with abssolute basic boilers and the quality/finish of the rads is not very good. But if it is a genuine rent out rad quality don`t really matter but pay the extra for a decent boiler...

Well if you think lard can be used as cheap sun cream I have just the heatpack in mind for you. Go down to your local b&q warehouse and ask for the tightfisted heatpack special. They will know just what you are looking for :LOL:

Yes that might be the one that includes the Disney MM combi, Hozelock tube and rads from the Chocolate Radiator Company.

Wow - that's harsh - given that you know nothing about me and indeed two of my sisters will be renting this off me!

Thanks anyway - had thought of Potterton but will investigate your recommendations. Why are the Intercombi so good then?

'cos there dead simple - and that to my mind is very important in the boiler world.

Sorry if we sounded harsh, but if there is one things that ticks off a working plumber/boiler engineer is when the customer right off the bat start going on about tight budgets when they have just bought an extra home to rent out - especially in London.

I was joking - Hopefully now you won't in turn be too harsh on whoever installs your de-luxe heatpack.

to be honest the biasi boilers from b&q are not bad, the rads are god awful tho but the heat pack is cheap cheap cheap, heat-line are even cheaper. btw a intercombi will not give you much change for your rads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back