which boiler do i choose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone give me advice as to which combi boiler to choose?

My dad, who's 78, is eventually having central heating installed and hasn't a clue as to which boiler to have fitted. which is the best one?

He's having boiler and 6 rads, what should he be looking to spend I'd hate him to be ripped off?

Thanks.

By the way thanks to kev and chris for their advice on my baxi 105e. I had pcb replaced and now it's working fine.

Sponsored Links
This question seems to come up regularly and it like saying which car should I go for ?

Most of the installers have their own preferences for one reason or another
(Easy to install, good tech advice, no comebacks on previous install, spare parts easy to obtain and not expensive etc)

Vaillant and Worcester Bosch make seem to be top of the range.

Aristons and Vokera's are good low-end boilers. But the quality varies between models from the same manufacturers

Ravenheats are not particularly great.

An installer friend of mine has been installing lots of Heatline boilers, they are made in Turkey but seem to be well built. As for reliability, time will tell.

Perhaps the regulars can say which they would install and why

Reading PVMs past postings, he like Worcester Bosch Cdi range with RF thermostats

Yep 28Cdi with RF programmable stat they work a treat and very rarely give me any problems, fitted them for all age groups and all been happy.

Aristons and Vokera's are good low-end boilers. But the quality varies between models from the same manufacturers

And you very often get a free drill with the Aristons! .. personally I like them and the drills come in handy at Christmas.

Sponsored Links
try age concern i think they have a scheme that may help

kevplumb said:
stick anything on the wall as long as its half good it will se your oldman out :LOL: mine did

Nice sales pitch Kev - "Go on sir, it's gonna last longer that you" :LOL:

Fit a combi, and the cheaper the better.

Yours sincerely,

Boiler Repairers' Benevalent Association and Job Creation Scam.

Fit an ARSEN WENGER,,,, they go on and on and on and on,,,
even when they got nothing to go about!!!!!!lol

Alternatively, just to redress the balance...the ALE FERGUSON, the unsurpassed hot air system which runs entirely on single malt and also doubles as a hairdryer! ;) lol!

Seriously MAgpie, do check with Social Services. My inlaws at 80 needed CH for the first time. I assumed I was going to get to do it. We advise they get some quotes, for a combi and 7 rads. BG came in at £6800, (with the boiler in the small bedroom).
Social Services put in a system with a combi and 5 rads free. 2guys did it in a day, with the boiler in the sensible (if a teeny bit contentious) place, in the kitchen. They also get it serviced free for a couple of years.

As for boiler choice, those mentioned should all go for at least 10 years properly maintained. And I see nothing much wrong with Halsteads! After 10 years or so, a fair amount of luck seems to come in to the issue!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back