Which Boiler for 2 bed flat with 1 bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking for a new boiler and I was wondering how powerful should be the boiler for 2 bed flat? Is 9L/min good enough, or 12L/min, 15L/min? Any recommendations for wall mounted combination boiler?

Currently I have old BAXI Solo boiler (wall mounted) in the kitchen, water cylinder in capbord and big tank in the loft. Is it possible to get rid of the cylinder and tank? Can the new boiler be connected directly to mains?

Also the water pressure is very poor in the shower, so do you think connecting directly to main would fix it?

I'm planning to get a few quotes from local plumbers but if I could get your opinion it would be easier to evaluate them.

Sponsored Links
The Combi route would undoubtely be the best way to go, which size depends on the Water flow rate, which should be checked at the Kitchen COLD tap asthis will be currently direct fom the main, depending on how many litrtes/min this is providing will determine the size for your combi.

as a rusle of thumb I personally would not fit anything under 28Kw, due to poor hot water performance particullarly in winter when cold water main temperatures can effect the performance, the higher the flow rate the bigger your boiler should be

A good reliable quality boiler would be a Broag-Remeha Avanta 28c (but also availible in 35, & 39Kw variants) ;)

A combi is often suitable foir a small flat with one bathroom

start by filling a bucket at the cold tap in the klitchen, and seeing how many litres per minute you get. This gives a clue of the max flow of water you will be able to get when you have your tanks removed.

If you are in a flat, does the water pressure at the cold tap seem to vary if people in other flats run their taps at the same time? Do you have your own stop-cock in the street? or is it one for the whole building?

Do you mostly have baths or showers? Be aware that IF your bath takes e.g. 100 litres of water, and IF your max flow is e.g. 10 litres/min, it will take 10 mins to fill a bath.

edited:
:( too slow

The Combi route would undoubtely be the best way to go, which size depends on the Water flow rate, which should be checked at the Kitchen COLD tap asthis will be currently direct fom the main, depending on how many litrtes/min this is providing will determine the size for your combi.
start by filling a bucket at the cold tap in the klitchen, and seeing how many litres per minute you get. This gives a clue of the max flow of water you will be able to get when you have your tanks removed.
Thanks to both of you.. It's so obvious! :oops: I got about 1.8L in 10s so it would be around 10-11L/min.

If you are in a flat, does the water pressure at the cold tap seem to vary if people in other flats run their taps at the same time? Do you have your own stop-cock in the street? or is it one for the whole building?
This is a house conversion with 2 flats. I'm on the 1st floor and as far as I know there is a one stop-cock for the whole house. As it's only 2 flats I've never noticed water flowing slower in the kitchen so I guess downstairs flat doesn't affect us much.

Do you mostly have baths or showers?
Mostly showers but that's were the problem is as the pressure is appalling!

as a rusle of thumb I personally would not fit anything under 28Kw, due to poor hot water performance particullarly in winter when cold water main temperatures can effect the performance
This is another very good point. One of the reason why I'm looking at the new boiler now is because normally in the winter we have almost cold shower! The only way to make it warmer is to open a cold water in the tap as it's probably lowering the cold water pressure coming to the mixing shower. And yes I know it's not very green at all!

A good reliable quality boiler would be a Broag-Remeha Avanta 28c (but also availible in 35, & 39Kw variants) ;)
Never heard of this company but I'll have a look. I've noticed that Vaillant is popular as well as Baxi, Glowwarm and Worcester but I have no idea how good/reliable they are.

:edited
I've checked the Broag-Remeha and I already like it because of dimensions (w40, d30, h67) as I could fit it into my existing kitchen cupboard. Also it's not too expensive (Vaillant is pricey).

This website (http://www.sedbuk.com/) have boiler efficiency table which is useful.

Another thing that I've noticed is that some boilers come with controls and to others you need to buy them extra. I guess this is another think to look at when getting a quote.

And powerflush of course as I've heard that that's a must when fitting a new boiler and in my flat probably necessity.

Sponsored Links
Brilliant boiler is the Avanta, one of the most reliable on the marker, also one of the smallest and quietest.

You can get 11.5 Ltr/min if the mains can deliver, so just on the line by the sound of it.

Get an approved installer from the web site, as they can give you a 5year guarantee.

so you are saying you have worked on that many you cant remember??? Does it run past a hundred.

So on the strength of around 8 jobs total you can say a boiler is the most reliable on the market.

So on the strength of around 8 jobs total you can say a boiler is the most reliable on the market.

Not at all.

Gas4you must have fitted loads now since he converted over from Vaillant, and I also happen to know several other installers that swear by them now.

Word of mouth from RGI's I trust, is good enough for me.

Why didnt you say it was hear say and not experience then.

Gas4you used to install icos and isars, Would you also go with him on that

I think I've had enough experience with Broag to know what the Companies quality is like.

And if you take away the problem manufacturers.

Ideal, Baxi, Potterton, Vokera, Alpha, all WB except the CDi, Ravenheap, you're starting to run out of choices.

Viessmann are too heavy and bulky, Atag are good but expensive, Glowworm I just don't like or trust, Biasi, Ferroli, Saunier Duval and Keston I've never seen one fitted, Chaffoteux used to be good.

Atmos are good according to my mate who fits nothing else.

One rather important issue, if not the most important aspect of the whole operation has not been mentioned so far.
The quality of the installation you will get, depends predominantly on the quality of the installer. A mediocre boiler that is installed flawlessly and is maintained by the engineer as per instructions, is likely to last a lot longer without problems, than the best boiler money can buy that is flung on the wall and left to die.

Spend as much time as it takes asking friends, neighbours, colleagues until you find someone who has the boiler serviced/repaired/maintained by the same chap for years. That's the guy you want to install your boiler. Put your trust in him, and follow his advice.
After you double checked on here of course. :D

DIA . Chaffaufeked used to be good :eek: ithink you will struggle to find someone who agrees with that.

To OP Bengas makes good and valid points re getting someone good.
As for size of combi no point you getting anything above a 24kw one with such a poor flow rate to your propert 10/11 litres a minute once its been through boiler it will be down to around 9/10 litres a minute which is what most 24`s deliver

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back