which boiler ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
can anyone give me a recommendation for a boiler? i have had 2 quotes at the moment 1 included a baxi boiler and the other included a glow worm. both were 30 not 24 . also what are your views on buying a new boiler from ebay and then getting some one to fit it. both quotes have returned at £1600 and include average 3 days labour. i dont want to saound like a cheapscate but if i got the boiler for a £500 im estimating that the plumber would charge £200 a day so all in all i could save £400 which is a lot and means i could get it done asap instead of waiting.

any advice is welcome. thanks in advance
Alan

Sponsored Links
If you buy and supply a cheap boiler and it breaks down you are going to have to chase up the maufacturerer not the installer.

I cannot see a £500 30kw boiler lasting very long when the Worcestor Bosch 24i 24kw ones we install cost £850 plus £350 for a power flush then 2 men for at least 2 days possibly running a larger bore gas pipe to the unit not much change from £1400 plus the boiler.
Pete

I would never fit a Baxi or a Glow Worm :mad:

I would also not recommend buying a boiler off ebay. If you supply the boiler then don't expect the installer to offer any warranty on the product. If it developed a problem then you would have to call manufacturers yourself or pay installer his standard call out fee. Manufacturers my choose not to talk to you about faults/warranty as you are not corgi registered.

I think you will find that a good corgi charges £250 - £300 + VAT /day.

I only fit Vaillant but if you dont want to pay for the best then Worcester or Alpha would be a better choice than the 2 you have been quoted for.

Your quotes of around £1600 seem remarkably cheap to me :rolleyes:

Agree with you Pete but, two men two days. Im a one man band and do it in a day and have time for a quote :LOL: ;)

Sponsored Links
Thing is Craig a lot of people don't realise how hard a 'one man band' works :eek:

I often get told by customers that their full 10 rad heating system took 2 men 2 weeks, when I would do it on my own in 5 - 5 1/2 days :rolleyes:

Don't know how they get away with it or make any money taking that long do you?

gas4you said:
I often get told by customers that their full 10 rad heating system took 2 men 2 weeks, when I would do it on my own in 5 - 5 1/2 days :rolleyes: ?

Well Dave if I ever have the pleasure of working with you I will make sure I have a lump of Kyrptonite on me, just to be able to make you get the bacon sarnies in

:LOL:

Maybe Im guilty of the same when worked as employee.

Now its my time and money :D

I always find 2 men present during the powerflushing is an asset to deal with the unexpected etc. Also manual handling of boilers is an issue I know some are quite manageable but what about the one your are taking off the wall.
When I say 2 men I mean one Corgi installer and either a plumber or labourer to assist.
I am quite lucky my 2 guys are both Corgi and like working as a team.
Pete

ok heres the scenario.
we have a back boiler so the system is already in place. we have been told that it would be better to replace with a combi which makes sense as we cant heat water without the heating being on as the is no way of seperating it.

we would need a pipe taking from the gas supplie outside and feeding into the airing cupboard where the tank and water pipes are. obviously we need a timer putting in and the old back boiler shutting down. if you want to call for a quote then pm me.
cheers alan

corgiman said:
gas4you said:
I often get told by customers that their full 10 rad heating system took 2 men 2 weeks, when I would do it on my own in 5 - 5 1/2 days :rolleyes: ?

Well Dave if I ever have the pleasure of working with you I will make sure I have a lump of Kyrptonite on me, just to be able to make you get the bacon sarnies in

:LOL:

Don't have time to eat corgi :eek: I turn up at around 9 - 9:30 and work through till about 4pm. Eat and drink on the go. Don't make money by taking breaks :LOL:

Hence my suggestion to get bacon sarnies

you can eat the with one hand, bend 28mm galvie in the other, and that leaves your tootsies free for typing quotes

:)

Dave
A back boiler is a whole different scenario.
Now we are taking decommissioning the old beast and hacking her out of the cave and making goood plus getting rid of some pipework installing some more and removing tanks etc.
Now we getting into the big money league not your straight forward swap.
Pete

Back boiler out, flue liner out, hot water cyl out, new combi in. I allow 3 1/2 days including powerflush and electrics on my own. I often thought I was slow :rolleyes:

Fluffster said:
Dave
A back boiler is a whole different scenario.
Now we are taking decommissioning the old beast and hacking her out of the cave and making goood plus getting rid of some pipework installing some more and removing tanks etc.
Now we getting into the big money league not your straight forward swap.
Pete

Well now its cheap as Pete's hit the nail on the head.

OK agree yet again Pete, two men on a flush would be handy, Only had a pump for just over a month so still green in that department ;)

back boiler can stay just turn it off. to be honest this all started coz we wanted the big dopy fire out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back