which carpet/ underlay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have decided to get a new carpet for the front room ( I wanted solid oak flooring but have given up!) It needs to be hard wearing as it has 2 doors one to kitchen and one to the hallway, then a double door to the conservatory. The carpet needs to be hard wearing, easy clean as there is an open fire, and not compress too much in the doorways and be a light colour (not much to ask i know!) We have looked at a berber 100% wool through to a 100% polyproperlean and are still not sure any ideas.

And then which would be the best underlay, would it change it we choose a different carpet?

Help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
If you want hard wearing go for an 80% wool/synthetic mix or even 100% wool but that will cost more. Wool will take a pretty good beating, will clean up better & it won't disintegrate when sparks fly from the fire; even a decent grade polyprop will just melt into holes as our lounge carpet has. It was left by a previous owner & is due to go soon. We may well go for a solid wood floor as I think it will be easier to manage with an open fire. As for underlay, I’d go for at least medium duty Treadair or one, our local fitter just used on our new carpets upstairs, Cloud I think it was called; he reakons it; better than Treadair & it certainly feels very good underfoot.

underlay cloud 9.

Carpet, go into your local carpet shop and seek there advice. Wool is better with fire. But harder to clean, man made carpet will melt but easier to clean!

underlay cloud 9.

Carpet, go into your local carpet shop and seek there advice. Wool is better with fire. But harder to clean, man made carpet will melt but easier to clean!
Typo; Cloud 9 yes.

I didn't say wool was easier to clean but using professional equipment, it will stand it much better & come up like new.

Sponsored Links
No, its the other way around. Wools are much harder to clean due to neutral based cleaners are needed and also are more likley to get browning. Wool also absorbs colours/dyes etc where as man made will repel most things so only surface coated. Man mades can be hit with some harsh cleaners but wool needs care due to pile burning, bleaching etc.

There is a new range of man made carpets that are BLEACH cleanable.

No, its the other way around. Wools are much harder to clean due to neutral based cleaners are needed and also are more likley to get browning. Wool also absorbs colours/dyes etc where as man made will repel most things so only surface coated. Man mades can be hit with some harsh cleaners but wool needs care due to pile burning, bleaching etc.

I only replied to the OP cos no one else bothered! I’m just a punter as far as carpets are concerned, just passing on my very limited experience. To be honest, I can't be arsed to argue about the pros & cons of carpets & the cleaning of them. You’re obviously an “expert”, so I’ll shut up now & pass it over to you so, by all means, give moosele the benefit of your obviously superior experience!

I originally thought your signature was some sort of wind up but obviously not!

moo - light cloured carpet :rolleyes: with a door to a conservatory then to back garden perhaps, hall then front door .... shoes, muck on soles. IMO light (ish) coloured carpets should be relegated to bedrooms. Prepare for a life-time of taking your shoes off at the front door. Getting a dog ... forget it.

I am no carpet expert but would have to agree with Richard C on this one we have a wool berber in the lounge which we inherited with the house 10 years ago and a decent synthetic/wool mix in the bedroom which we fitted 5 years ago. when both hoovered or given a going over with the vax the wool comes up much better and with regards to wear will probably out last the bedroom carpet too.

I only replied to the OP cos no one else bothered! I’m just a punter as far as carpets are concerned, just passing on my very limited experience. To be honest, I can't be a***d to argue about the pros & cons of carpets & the cleaning of them. You’re obviously an “expert”, so I’ll shut up now & pass it over to you so, by all means, give moosele the benefit of your obviously superior experience!

I originally thought your signature was some sort of wind up but obviously not!

Nobody had 'bothered' to reply because they had posted in the mid day where most of us are at work! Only 2 hours had past before your reply, not a day or so!

Not having a knock at you richard, just correcting some info. Im sure you would do the same if somebody got something the wrong way around in your field of work. your recommendation of wool would be the correct one, but the down side is the cleaning of wool is not as good.

And chappers, comparing cleaning using a vax is not really correct either as the cleaners for these are wool safe and universal for man made etc. When using the correct cleaners for a man made carpet ( not universal) you will get much better results, but you will need the correct machine to use these with the correct pressure, temperature and extraction and so on. This is why pros dont use a vax and use equipment costing a few grand. There is a big difference.

But as i originaly posted, seek advice from who you buying the carpet from! Every carpet is different.

Thanks for all the quick answers, sorry that it has caused a bit of friction!
The shops that we have been too have given 2 totally different ideas, and the carpet fitter who was recommended started at 100% wool (berber)and has now said that 100% poly.(twist) would be the best option, and dropped off a load of samples of both. So we are totally confused as too the best option and wanted peoples ideas.

Many thanks to everyone :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back