Which cctv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
Just wanting some recommendation on cctv. I have been mulling over it for a while and we seem to be getting alot of local breakins recently.
I have been reading loads of reviews. And almost made my mind up a couple of times on a swann system but then been put off by reviews.
I'm not looking at spending a fortune but looking at around 250.
Not sure whether going with the thermal camera type or a standard bullet or even going with a cheaper brand off amazon.

Any help or advice.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Pay cheap and you will be back here in a year asking for recommendations again. I made this same mistake. I would personally recommend Hikvision. You need to work out how many cameras you want how much recording time etc and then look for equipment.

+1.
I've been there too. Bought cheap and then replaced with Hikvision.
But if you want cameras and an NVR you will need to revise your budget.

Many thanks for the messages.
It's just good to know some other manufacturers names.im amateur at this.
I only really need 2 cameras maybe 3 at most I have just spotted a setup on eBay which looks to an amateur a good deal. See below if it's against the rules to post a link please delete.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181013-201459_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20181013-201459_eBay.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 84
Sponsored Links
I'd be careful about this.
Are these genuine EU model Hikvision from an authorised UK distributor? If they are grey imports you will find they are not supported by Hikvision.

The description is ambiguous. It says they are 1080P, which is 2 megapixels. But then it says 5MP - 5 megapixels. Can they all record at 5MP, or only 2MP?

Also are the cameras actually suitable for your particular application? The focal length isn't quoted, and there are different lenses available. Do you need wide-angle lenses like 2.8mm, or narrow-angle like 12mm?

Firstly you need to work out what you need the cameras to do and at what distance.

Then how long you want to record for.

Buying the same camera for all points required around your home then chances are it’s not optimal.

Your budget versus what you want could well result in compromises.

So one of my potential customers get speced up and the kit alone cost over £600 for 2 cameras and nvr and suitable storage plus fitting, customer decides it’s too expensive and opts for something around £400 fitted from somewhere else.

Customer isn’t happy now they have had it in a few months, now I can reuse his cables, but the nvr and cameras need replacing. Lent them a camera close to the spec I recommended and he can see the difference, but now they are out of pocket by £400 For something that isn’t really suitable.

So spec up properly buy once is the best advice, if you can’t afford it you might be better to wait a while before buying.

Expensive does not mean it’s right.

I work in a secondary school and we had a series of thefts of bikes so we put in CCTV. We already had a Hikvision system but the picture quality wasn't up to much so we had a look around to see what was available. In the end we went for a Unifi camera setup from a company called Ubiquti not only because the picture was better, as well as them haviong built in audio recording, but the software is way better than anything we found on other makes.

Like I say, they aren't cheap. The cameras are about £100 each and it's fully digital so you need to put it through CAT 5 with the option of an NVR or software installed on a PC.

There's a review here:

Good luck.

I work in a secondary school and we had a series of thefts of bikes so we put in CCTV. We already had a Hikvision system but the picture quality wasn't up to much so we had a look around to see what was available.
That sounds like a perfect example of not buying the correct cameras for the area to be covered.
Blame the person who specified them, not the manufacturer.

The Hikvisions worked and were OK for the time they were fitted but the difference between the picture from them and the Unifi's is quite surprising. The real difference though of the software. It's so much quicker and easier to use. Were in the process of swapping the old cameras out which wasn't the intention originally as the new ones were going to expand the old system.

without comparing the models specification or knowing the area being covered I cant comment on which I would expect to be better or indeed at the time if that was the best option specified against what criteria.

Hik Vision do hundreds if not thousands of cameras especially if you consider the variants within each model and lens options.

For Example I have a lot of choice within Hikvision branded 5MP capable cameras but they are not all the same specification that's excluding the different lens options.

Hikvision and Dahua are the cams you need. Ubiquiti are not in the same league. Make sure the setup is IP based. If someone try’s to sell you a coax setup, then they need a kick in the backside.

I’ve used a lot of Hikvision and I am going to try out some installs with Dahua which are a lightly better brand.

You also haven’t stated if night time recording is more important than daytime? If at night then you do not want 4/5/8MP cams unless you will have good lighting on during the night which is always favourable to get colour recording.

If no lighting, you will need 2/3MP ultra low level light cams as the 4MP and higher cams are crap in low light. The Hikvision DS-2CD2335FWD-I is the best for that purpose.

Do Not buy Bullet cams. Stick to turrets like the one I mentioned.

Same front end on most ip/ coax Hikvision cameras so image quality will be the same ....just get extra stuff bolted on the back ( that's all fine if your going to use that part , but why pay extra for something your not going to use ? )

Utter nonsense. You can’t say both are the same. The advantages of IP cams let alone quality are in a different league.

The only time one should be installing coax cams is when the existing system is coax.
If you want to stay in the past then do so. When you are installing that DVR, make sure you have a crt screen to go with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back