Which chisles to buy

Sponsored Links
The Marples are one of the best out there, and thats a good price for a set which includes the sharpening stone.
I'm saving up for a set of them, used to use them at school and they were lovely. They will last a lifetime too.

thats 2 votes for the marples so I will go with that and get the marples ones , Thanks

Sponsored Links
marples, marples, marples, marples and a decent indian oil stone

ive had my marples set nearly 20 years,there guaranteed for life under normal usage,ive had to(del boy/trigger moment lol) change the 3/4 & 1 1/4 because the handles have split over the years but i tend to use these the most.travis perkins are doing a very good deal at the moment for a set including a block plane for iirc £50.

yet more votes for marples, spend the difference on a trend diamond stone- the continuous diamond by far the best and incredible to use.time saved sharpening will pay for them in no time.

well ive just changed my set of chisels for.....................yep anther set of marples :LOL: my old ones were giving me a bit of agro coz i had worn them down so much in the last 20 years that it was getting difficult to cut out locks etc,1 chisel was over a 1 1/4 smaller then the new one.

set of 6 in a wooden box with a couple of them new drill bits included for £49.95 not bad me thinks,think there last until i retire :D

I'm not sure whether buying a set of chisels is a good idea. You have quite a big outlay and end up with some in sizes that you may rarely use.

I prefer to buy chisels singly in the sizes I want, mostly ½" and ¾". I buy them second hand when I see good ones (according to some people, the old ones were better) which means having nice chisels, often with good boxwood handles for less money than buying new. I find honing a batch of chisels when I'm in the mood easier than doing them singly, and don't have to stop half way through a job to resharpen.

Oh yes, I do have a set of Marples chisels as well, and they're fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back