Which Combi to put into a rented flat...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to put a price in for a Combi exchange in a 2 bedroomed flat. (Before anybody asks... Yes I am CORGI Registered) and they want two alternative prices.
1... To install a "Good Quality" Boiler which I am fine with as I normally install Worcester Bosch.
2... To install a "Cheaper" Boiler, (This is where my dilema lays) should I price on an Ideal or a Glow or an Ariston. Does anybody have any favourites of these makes ??
And this is my final question.... Up to now I have only ever fitted a boiler up to a first floor level which is easily reached from the ladder to do any making good and this is situated in a part of London that I try to avoid (The things you do for mates) and it is a joyful 6 floors up. This is a job that I don't want to do "Bungee Jumping from the roof" trying to make the outside of the Flue terminal good, can somebody please explain how I do this from the comfort of the inside of the flat?? Is it as simple as using a rubber seal.
I appreciate the help gents...

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't install a cheap boiler especially for a mate...it will come back to haunt you. I would be tempted to price my realistic quote on something like a worcester Junior and then price up something like an ecomax. I think customers are more impressed when they realise you won't cut corners to save cost anyway.
As for the flat sorry, never come across that one yet!

I prefer Vaillant but fit Glowworm when cheaper option required. Have done several 30 and 35 combis over the last year and all hunky dory so far (touch wood).
I believe you can get info on fitting flues from inside- slightly larger hole I believe to feed rubber through then pull backwards. Or something like that!

Sponsored Links
I will have to ask my friendly local boiler supplier for his input then on the flue sealing issue (I wonder if he rents out "Bungee" Ropes).
I know what you all mean about the cheap boiler subject, but I am only doing what the customer wants, one cheap quote and one "recommended by your Gas Fitter" price. The ironic thing is that my labour is going to be more money on the cheap boiler as a safety net for any call backs..
Thanks Gents, I will post the solution to the fixing problem just in case anyone is interested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back