Which Cordless Lawnmower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a new mower and have decided to give cordless a try rather than petrol.

The mower I'm replacing has a 39cm cutting width and I'm after something a few inches wider.

I've had my eye on the Stihl RMA 248 or 253 (46cm and 51cm cutting widths - I'm not sure if 51cm is a little wide so was tending towards the RMA 248 though this takes their consumer grade AK batteries rather than the AP batteries - is that a huge downside?)

I have noticed some good Black Friday offers on the Mountfield Empress range though, with some good buys on the Empress 46 Li and the 51 Li. They're both self propelled which I don't particularly need as my lawns are all flat and look to be a few kg heavier, presumably partly for this reason. However I notice they have 48V batteries and wondered if this was an advantage over the 36V of the Stihl? Though only a 2 year warranty on the Mountfield versus 5 years on the Stihl.

Any thoughts or other recommendations?

Sponsored Links
Half the thing is you're "buying in" to a battery system, worth thinking about what other tools you might want to run, and will they still be selling tools and batteries with the same system in 5yrs time

I don't anticipate wanting any other cordless garden tools anytime soon.

I do already have a Stihl cordless strimmer which uses the AK battery system, but I only have a single AK10 battery which is the smallest capacity in the range and not suitable for a lawnmower anyway, so I don't think this is enough to steer my decision if another mower was better.

The reason I'd narrowed my options down to Stihl and Mountfield is they are two brands I trust will still be around in a few years with some possibility of buying new batteries etc. but I really don't know enough to choose between the options.

I would put a lot more trust in Stihl continuing with their current battery system than mountfield.
It's the husqvarna system I use myself, but that is with the top of the range tools and batteries

Sponsored Links
I did quite fancy the Husqvarna LC 247i if I'm honest but after I've factored in the batteries as well the price is more than I can justify.

I must admit Stihl was my starting point as I have other Stihl stuff and I've never been able to fault the quality. The 5 year warranty instills an amount of confidence too so maybe one of these two is the way to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back