Which direction to lay felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am felting my summerhouse roof tomorrow.

It's is 5m long x 3m wide and slopes down the long side.

I have raised it 100mm higher at one end, so it is a very gradual 1 in 50 slope

My question is

Which orientation should I lay the felt?

In 3 or 4 pieces following the slope down the long edge

Or

In Several pieces 90 degrees to the slope?

Ta

Sponsored Links
What type of felt are you using?

A 1:50 slope is really not enough to use a basic nail on felt.

Did you build this structure yourself?

It's a summer house. The felt came with it, it's your standard capping felt.

The roof had no slope so I added firrings to create one.

Why wouldn't felt work?

There's going to be a fair bit of movement in the summer.....I'd go for across the length, I think.
I had to do a similar thing for someone once - it was one of those occasions where felt shingles in strips helped with the movement.
Of course, there's always the possibility of water being blown upwards with a minimal slope.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Ah, I see so the Problem is the potential for water getting pushed back up the slope.

I'll make sure I put two layers down well sealed and see how that fares over the next year. If no good ill Board and EPDM it next spring, I just don't have the finances this year, besides I have 4 rolls of felt to use up.

Torch on felt might work ok but nail on is nowhere near well enough sealed at joints to deal with so small a fall. Driving rain could easily push rain under laps.

Nail on felt is designed for shed roofs with a pitch, with such a small fall you need to use a higher spec felt as would be used on a small flat roof .

You should use a torch on felt and possible use a base layer too.

Who on earth made a summer house with no fall on the roof?

As john said the expansion and contraction is worth considering which is a good reason for a 2 layer system.

If you already have the felt and can't return it you could use cold adhesive rather than nailing it.

I agree, no fall is ridiculous but I wasn't aware that was the case till I'd constructed it. Shoddy company!!!

I was going to nail the first layer down (for movement) and then bond the second layer to the first using cold adhesive.

Do you think it's worth putting a small batten (under the felt) down either edge down the slope to form a lip and prevent water flowing over the sides?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back