Which Domestic Consumer Unit ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been out of the game for a while and knowing how things change I wondered what my options are these days for decent quality consumer units? Some years back (at least five) the MK, Crabtree and Wylex stuff were all pretty reasonable - no idea what they are like these days.

Any advice as to which one(s) are worth using and which ones to steer clear of would be much appreciated. Key points for me are:-

1. Ease of wiring the beast up
2. Build quality (I have experienced casings cracking far too easily when removing knock-outs on some 'value' brands in the past)

Cheers,

Steve

Sponsored Links
I like Hager.

I don't like football so you may not value my opinion.

Have just done some work on a Crabtree Starbreaker.
Very good but don't like the extra large first RCD and initial busbar work.

Thanks for the input, I thought I might get a bit more response. I must say, I quite like the Hagar stuff but the plastic on the CU's does seem a bit flimsy. I had some feedback elsewhere that seems to be leaning quite strongly toward MK. I think I will need to go and get a few items out of the boxes and have a play around.

Thanks again for your input

Steve

I used to be a big Wylex fan but have found the MK sentry units easier to work with. The Square D Domae range i liked and the Crabtree starbreaker range.

Sponsored Links
I like hager, and I also don't like football.

MK are ok but the breakers are not as good as they used to be.

I don't like any of the rubbish electrium are churning out these days (wylex, volex, crabtree)

Hey! It's a small world! I too like Hager and I too hate football.

I do the cooking & Mrs Secure watches the footy, a Stoke fan I might add. Though it doesn't mean a great deal to me, I understand they're doing better these days.

i dont like football either...

....whats football got to do with it??

Right,

So to summarise...

Hagar isn't horrible and MK is OK.

I don't like football either!

Thanks for the input

Somewhere (IIRC Holland) architects who design new public housing projects have to live in their creation for a year, by law.

MK is ok, provided you buy 100% of the parts required at the exact same time and check them all carefully to ensure they all match.
Otherwise, you will find the design of the MCBs and such has changed 78 times since you installed it last month, making the board look a right old mess.

Some of their RCBOs now have 'made in china' on the side.

MK is ok, provided you buy 100% of the parts required at the exact same time and check them all carefully to ensure they all match.
Otherwise, you will find the design of the MCBs and such has changed 78 times since you installed it last month, making the board look a right old mess.

Same as wylex etc then

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back