Which drill to get?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi -

I need to purchase a drill and am wondering whether to get a hammer drill suitable for drilling through concrete or a general-purpose drill.

Most of my drilling needs, I guess, are going to be through wood or other softer material - but I know that I also have one or two jobs that require drilling through concrete.

Having done some research on the Internet, it seems that hammer drills are perhaps not best suited for drilling through softer material.

Does anyone have any advice here? Will I need to purchase two drills or can I purchase a single drill that does both kind of jobs.

Many thanks
Blake

Sponsored Links
hammer drills are perfect for drilling through wood/metal/plastics without hammer on
and masonery with it on

I have always been a Bosch fan and i swear to this day you can't go wrong with them! If you use them properly and look after them, they last a long time. (i have only ever owned 2!).

Depending on your budget i would go for somthing like THIS

Its very reasonable for £45 and will suit all types of projects. Gets good reviews too.[/code]

It's no good buying a big heavy drill for drilling concrete once or twice, if you will be using it for other purposes all the other time and so making it uncomfortable for that use

Just think about the majority of jobs you will do with it

Sponsored Links
Always buy separate drills if your drilling is equalized.
Sds for concrete and normal chucked type for wood/steel etc.

The Metabo SBE 1100plus is a quality drill. It does have an impact feature and will drill concrete to a degree.
It has overload protection, slip clutch and a keyless futuro chuck is supplied as standard.
It also has adjustable electronic speed control and a hi/Lo gearbox and reverse operation which is useful also.

I've got one and can't fault it. :mrgreen:
It not cheap but then I like expensive german tools when I know the quality is there and the site performance is top notch.

A 2Kg rotary hammer drill SDS type will do your heavy work into masonry of any density ,It can also be used for ordinary drilling by using a standard three jawed chuck with an SDS coverter 550-750 watts will do for most fixing jobs, I have never had a problem with BOSCH drills ,MAKITA have alot of punch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back