Which filler for gaps in engineered wood floor

11 Aug 2010
Reaction score
United Kingdom

Due to flooding our engineered wood floor has become wet. Now that it's dried out again it's got some wider gaps in some places. At the largest spots up to about 5mm wide.

What filler do I best fill this with?

The flooring is varnished and surface looks good, so it should not be something that needs sanding down.

Some gaps are near the entrance to our flat, so there will be a lot of foot traffic going across, so it needs to be something that doesn't easily break loose and comes out of the gaps.

Finally, something that's available in B&Q or Wickes would be good since I'll go there soon. But I'm also interested to hear what would generally be the best solution.

Thank you for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Was the engineered floor glued together? Glued to the subfloor? or floated with no glue?
Was the engineered floor glued together? Glued to the subfloor? or floated with no glue?

Thanks for the reply. I have no idea whether or now it was glues. I doubt it was – the developers go always for the fastest and cheapest options, don't they?

Any way to find out?
Is there any residue in the gaps? if there is not, you may be able to tap all the gaps shut if a minimal amount of glue has been used, best thing would be to drop some pva into the joints, tap it all together with a tapping arm and block and wipe up the excess glue.
Sponsored Links
I had gaps in my floor after my house settled. I used a tool called the floor gap fixer. It closed all my gaps. I added glue before closing them. I got it at www.floorgapfixer.com

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local