Which fittings for fixing cabinet to double layer of plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this is my first post, please go easy on me!

I spent the weekend building some Ikea kitchen cabinets for a small utility area I'm fitting out. Feeling very proud as I needed to modify them for the space, and the cut-down cupboards are great. Now I need to attach them to the wall.

I tried with the fixings I have, but no luck. The wall is a double layer of plasterboard (no cavity between the two layers). I tried a fixing that you screw into the wall with a screwdriver, then screw into it, but the fixing in the wall is spinning. Then I tried again with a larger one, and longer screw, but the screw was too long for the fixing, and didn't hold the bracket tight to the wall. When I unscrewed it, again the fixing started spinning. Very frustrated now.

Any suggestions? Links to products would be good! I'm worried about totally destroying the plaster where I tried already.

Sponsored Links
What is behind the double plasterboard - is it glued to a solid wall or is it mounted on wooden studs?

Or is it just two layers of plasterboard separating two rooms?

The old saying applies - a picture paints a thousand words :)

It's an internal wall. Stud and plasterboard. My builders stuck a new piece of plasterboard on top to cover up damage, and provide a new surface, which they finished off with a coat of plaster. Does that paint a picture?

Sponsored Links
It's an internal wall. Stud and plasterboard. My builders stuck a new piece of plasterboard on top to cover up damage, and provide a new surface, which they finished off with a coat of plaster. Does that paint a picture?
Yeah that helps!

First off I'd try and find the studs - if you have any chance of screwing into them I'd go for it but you'll need some decent long screws!

If you haven't got one already then a multi-detector is a fairly important thing to get hold of if you like drilling/screwing things into walls - you can get an OK one for around £10 but the bosch ones that cost £60+ seem to be used by quite a few pros...

Having fitted a lot of Ikea stuff recently I know the supplied wall fittings vary quite a bit - Stuva units are a bloody nightmare as there's no easy way of making fine adjustments.

Anyway...what I would probably do is fit (sections of) a hanger rail such as this https://www.locksonline.com/Cabinet...abinet-Hanger-Wall-Rail-2032mm-Long-6492.html

screwing it into the studs, you may need to cut sections so that it sits in the recess behind the cabinets - then you can use these http://www.screwfix.com/p/nylon-cabinet-brackets-with-mounting-plate-10-pack/91611 (you may get them cheaper elsewhere) to hang the cabinet from the rail.

I would suggest that you then put a screw +plug (use a plasterboard plug - drill with a HSS drill bit not masonry) at the base of the unit to 'lock' it in place - n.b. this screw will only bear a load if you try to lift the cabinet off the hooks or pull the bottom of the unit away from the wall.

Thanks! That's given me some pointers. It is the Metod one, and I didn't get a rail.

I was thinking of getting a multi-detector, and wondering if the cheaper ones work well enough. I don't want to pay out for Bosch!

I've got a £10 from lidl and it seems to do the job ok so far. I think a lot of brands do a basic detector in the sub £20 range.

and as for the Metod rail - If Ikea isn't local then you should have no issue using the other rail type I linked to and the corresponding hangers.

You don't need to detect the upright, cut out the plasterboard along a 100mm wide strip behind where you want to hang the cup'd and replace with a sheet of ply to same depth, [screwed to uprights]then you can fix securely anywhere along it.

Thank you. Lots of options now!
I like the sound of the £10 multidetector from Lidl!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back