Which heating thermostat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for a new thermostat that is programmable and will replace the current hallway thermostat by EPH controls. The current thermostat is just a digital temperature one so I can set the set point and turn the heating on and off but it is not programmable. The boiler itself has an analogue time switch which we don't have. We run the boiler at a flow temp of approx 45-50C.

I don't want to go down the nest route or Wi-Fi route as I think its expensive and don't like the idea that you are then connected to British Gas or some form of subscription for those features. I would like something that is programmable so I can have different temps at diff times of the day and the best feature would be to have some kind of thermostat that will learn how quick the house warms up so I could say set it for 20C at 0700 and it would come on early enough to have the house up to temperature by 0700.

Haven't seen any with the learning feature but have found https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003ERP...TF8&colid=1MP4K5EB68HH3&coliid=I2KS9DBKLU0C88 which seems reasonable.

I have also been looking at a TPI thermostat which granted doesn't have a time clock but does appear to offer a different way of controlling the boiler but my concern with this is that it is cycling the boiler frequently on and off along with the circulating pump within, surely causing more wear and tear on components. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honeywell-...Thermostat/dp/B003DTFP5A/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t Because we already run the flow temp lower than most people do our heating is on for much longer anyway and we have quite a stable temperature never too hot/cold etc.

Our main issue at present is that at night we set back to 18C then on a morning when getting up we put it to 20C it would be good to have the thermostat have the house upto temp by the time we get up.

Hopefully someone can advise.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Don't go for Salus, crap on quality.

If you don't like TPi by Honeywell, go for a weather compensation control. But it comes a point, what is your boiler make and model, is it a condensing boiler?

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, I am wanting weather compensation but my boiler a gloworm 30cxi (god awful boiler) doesn't have that ability, but it is condensing!

Its protected by a central heating cover contract if it wasn't for that it would be long gone now. Its had everything replaced on it and is through its 2nd main PCB in 2 years!

Sponsored Links
Thats what I had before the current digital version. I want something where I can have the heating have the house upto 20C by say 0700 or at least have different temps at different times without manual intervention. The Salus seems to do this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back