Replacing A Thermostat, do i need to replace dial & BG u

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

in my house i have an old style dial thermostat and a British gas programmable device (turns heating on / off at set times).

I need to replace the dial thermostat as its definitely broken. my main question is would i be able to just replace the dial, if so what happens if I replace it with a programmable thermostat such as:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Salus-RT500...003ERP1LE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_diy_1#productDetails

Would i be able to do that and then just set the B.G one to always on? or am i going to have to take wires from the B.G one to set up the programmable device? I get the feeling I should probably get someone in to do it if it involves replacing both units.

Sponsored Links
If the BG programmer controls the hot water as well as the heating, you can keep it to do the hot water. The new programmable stat will control the heating times/temperatures.

If the old stat has three or more wires, you can easily replace it with a wireless programmable stat. The Salus is not normally recommended by knowledgeable engineers; the Honeywell CM921 (24hr) or CM927 (7 day) is a far better product.

If you post a pic showing the wiring of the old stat, someone will tell you how to connect the receiver for the new stat.

thanks D_Hailsham.

the BG programmer is purely turning on and off heating time.

I am getting a bunch of "odd jobs" done by a professional electrician. I asked him what he would do and he said he could replace the BG programmer with a wireless thermostat and then I can keep the thermostat wherever I am which sounds ideal.

Annoyingly he is going to quote me for all the jobs as one instead of each one so I wont be able to work out if its cheaper to do it myself. However I am not sure if I feel confident replacing the BG unit....

Sponsored Links
the BG programmer is purely turning on and off heating time.
Sounds as if you have a combi boiler.

I am getting a bunch of "odd jobs" done by a professional electrician. I asked him what he would do and he said he could replace the BG programmer with a wireless thermostat and then I can keep the thermostat wherever I am which sounds ideal.
Not all electricians are familiar with heating systems. :eek:

A wireless stat isn't designed to be moved around from room to room as the signal strength will vary. But if you do this, make sure that the TRVs in the room are set to Max, so the wireless stat has complete control.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back