Which Ipod

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To cut a long story short, any suggestion on the ideal Ipod for a non techy person to use on their travels
and suitable docking station for home use.
Don't blag my head with to much gargon though it's Friday and my brain has stopped functioning!

Sponsored Links
Wife bought me a 160 gigabite Classic for Christmas; I’ve now got every single piece of music I’ve ever owned on there, including all my old vinyl; well over 10000 tracks & I’ve only used just over half the hard drive capacity so I can’t imagine ever running out of space. My main reason for wanting one was to avoid cluttering up the lounge with seemingly endless racks of CD’s & my vinyl’s been in the loft unused for years now. I was thinking of wireless audio streaming from my PC hard drive but the Ipod is a much better solution as I can just plug it straight into the auxiliary input of my Dennon amp + I can take my complete record collection anywhere I go.

You don’t really need an Ipod dock if you have a decent amplifier with auxiliary phono input, you just need one of these;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/RCA-Phono-Cable-iPod-Colour/dp/B000JS38FM/ref=pd_ys_home_shvl_4

I was expecting some loss of sound quality with the MP3 format & the plug in cable but in a side-by-side listening experiment, switching directly between CD & Ipod I could not detect any discernable difference on my high end amp & CD player, even when cranked right up.

If your car stereo doesn’t have an Ipod socket you can also get an FM transmitter for around £30, just tune your radio the correct frequency & away you go.

I've seen the nano 5th for 108 GBP and classic is something nearer 180 GPB.
The price is not an issue, the easy of use is. Can't do with fangle dangle stuff that I would never have a need or use for.
I like the sound of copying all the old vinlys and all my CDs got a quite a few kicking about.
I assume you'll need software and a record player to upload the old vinyls?

Sponsored Links
I like the sound of copying all the old vinlys and all my CDs got a quite a few kicking about. I assume you'll need software and a record player to upload the old vinyls?
I have an old Sony belt drive turntable & tape deck I just plug straight into my sound card. I’ve had a high end Audigy soundcard for some years but reakon that the on board sound on most modern PC motherboards is just as good now days. You will need some software & there are several around; I use quiet an old version of Sound Forge but it works pretty well. As well as basic ripping, it also has various filters you can use to clean it all up by removing clicks & pops & you can even do it manually if you want really good results. I’ve slowly transferred my old Vinyl & even some tapes onto my PC hard drive over some time; it can be a bit time consuming but you get there eventually. The free iTunes software (download) will convert CD’s & recorded WAV files on your hard drive (the vinyl) into iTunes (MP3) format. It may sound daunting but is quiet straight forward really, as is using the Ipod.

With all of your music in digital form, it’s very important you back it all up. I use two methods; I have an external USB hard drive which gives an immediate copy + I also burn to a cake box of rewriteable DVD’s which I keep in my shed at the bottom of the garden just in case of theft or fire.

I was think about getting all my vinyls on the PC HD, a bit back but it never happened, it would be great to have all the old tunes from my youth (oh happy days), that you can't buy anymore, refined and saved on the PC, so can upload on to other players and formats.
Thanks for that Richard been a great help.

the wife and I have 60gb ipods, I hardly use mine, good for pictures.

but if I were to get another it would have to be an MP4, that way i could watch films on the plane ;)

Just bought my son a 16 gb 5g nano £130 quid from asda online it will take video although low quality but for £12 extra you can get a 8gb touch.

Depends what you want don't confine yourself to ipod there are some good little players out there I use a16 gb Hitachi nice and simple and excellent sound, and invest in a decent setof earplugs/phones the ones that they come with are cheap crap

Cheers guys, I'm not interested in play movies, in fact I'm only really bothered about the music side of things, something that I can take with me when I'm out and about.
So should I be really wanting MP3 or MP4 players?

Any ipod will probably do you just fine - it's itunes which you'll find most useful. Nip down to asda and get the cheapest model off the shelf.

Cheers guys, I'm not interested in play movies, in fact I'm only really bothered about the music side of things, something that I can take with me when I'm out and about.
So should I be really wanting MP3 or MP4 players?

yes but i hve to fly that often, usualy scam air, sorry read ryan,

cant fault the 60gig just i want the same withe mp4 capability

ive got a 4g 16GB nano and its simple to use from the start.

yes but i hve to fly that often, usualy scam air, sorry read ryan
Do they allow that has hand luggage or do they charge you for that ;)

I apologize for being ignorant but!
I have not got much past the sony walkman or plugging headphones straight in to the hifi at home stage.
Not becuase I'm not with it or owt, I never really had use for one, but I've just recently found a bit of time to myself and to avoid ear contact with the missus thought it a good idea ;) :)

I bought my Ipod touch a few months ago, my first ipod. I use it for music, videos, reading books, and the internet if i'm out near a wi-fi hotspot.
My wife thought I was daft buying one (too old at 50!), but strangely after a few days I had to buy another for her. :rolleyes:
Great piece of kit.

Sponsored Links
Back