Drilling into impenetrable Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening everyone .
Well the mrs has just bought a roller blind for our recently tiled bathroom , no problem I thought , well to cut a long story short can I hell drill the holes into the tile haha , I’ve managed to penetrate one tile . I usually just use masonary bits to get through tiles but this wasn’t working so I purchased a pack of 5 so called tile drill bits from screwfix .There not the arrow head ones though . Bloody hell the size bit I needed seemed to burn out in a matter of minutes lol. Any suggestions on which drill bit to invest in to keep her happy . I’ve never struggled so much to drill a hole .
I’m also in two minds to take these bits back , what a waste of money .
Cheers

Sponsored Links
I use a very slow drill speed, a quality masonry bit with no hammer action until the glaze is penetrated.....high speed and therefore heat will wreck most drill bits.
I can’t comment about a tile drill though, never needed them!
John :)

No Ide never used them either , always used a masonry drill bit . These tiles are solid , I managed to get about 5 mm into the first and only hole before giving it up as a bad job lol.

Sponsored Links
Bosch multi construction. Keep it cool .
I can get a good 20 holes through porcelain per bit.

Don’t bother with tile bits & the little diamond ones. Trust me. Just don’t over heat the tip. They are blue on the worm thread.

One bathroom with high grade porcelain I spent £28 quid on a porcelain drill, 12 holes no problem then started to dull, think i got about 16 holes out of it before having to buy another one.

Do you think I should try them Bosch ones . The type your talking about are they blue on the tip ? Do you have a link to a pic ?
Thanks

That type ?

Attachments

• 13FF959C-8F38-47A8-A22B-3FD915D80A74.png
    13FF959C-8F38-47A8-A22B-3FD915D80A74.png
    269 KB · Views: 86
Oh what fun i always use diamond tipped bits like these.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-diamond-tile-drill-bit-6-x-67mm/51908

or this

https://www.screwfix.com/p/marcrist-pg750x-dry-diamond-tile-drill-bit-6-x/78470

2nd link here also has a pic of the holder you need as it doesn't have a center tap ie will spiral off if you try and drill without holding it in place. I normally use a bit of wood with the same diameter drilled to hold it steady till it's cut a circle then drill away, keep spraying with water to help cut. They are great.

Those cheap arrow headed ones always work for me ........just dip it in a cup of cold watering very very frequently.

I usually start with a small dia pilot and work my way up.......never failed yet !

Sponsored Links
Back