Which is family saloon is cheapest to service?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

If I bought a family saloon from new and got it garage serviced to 100,000 miles. Which would be cheapest in replacement service parts? Eg oil and air filters, brake pads, spark plugs, cam belts etc.

Second question. Which would be the easiest to service myself (competent amateur mechanic)

Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
Get your parts from a motor factor (Eurocarparts, GSF, and countless others) and you'll save lots of cash.....always use a quality oil of the correct grade (try the Comma or Millers website to see what you need).
I work on various makes of vehicles, and I find Ford parts dead cheap at a motor factors but most makes are well catered for - including VAG, Honda and Nissan.
However....I don't touch Fiats! (or anything else Italian). Cheers John

I would suggest Ford, however I've read poor reports about the mondeo rear brakes - check out honestjohn for more info.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the very useful replies.

I have had Fords now for ages. It seems good sense to stick with them.

Thanks

Mike

Check out the latest Mondeo and be amazed how good they are, just like the Focus....the rear disc brake problem is only a real issue if the caliper/pads aren't cleaned out and lubricated regularly - its the only way the handbrake will behave itself. Cheers John

Honda or Toyota any day. most reliable car out there and they wont depreciate as much as the others will. Keep away from the french sh*t.

A factor to consider may be how far away from you the nearest main dealer for your chosen brand is.

You know the situation when that 'five minute job' turns sour, and the car is off the road until you've fixed it.

The five pound part you need is on the shelf at the main dealer's, because they always fail, but that's a 15 mile drive (or a 2 hour bus journey away 'coz the car is off the road) :(

Sponsored Links
Back