which is good make for undersink water filter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to fit an undersink water filter with tap but am getting confused as to which is a good make and what really needs to be filtered as there seem to be too many options!

I used to have a springflow but have just moved to a house that still has lead pipes and from what I can see the springflow will not remove any lead so I think I want a system that will improve taste, reduce chlorine and lead.

I've been recommended Culligans and Liff and by searching on the web have just found Pozzani but that is not sold generally.

I'm waiting for the water company water sample test results to see if the lead really is an issue.

Yes I live in a hard water area but am not bothered whether the calcium is reduced or not - Calcium is supposed to be good for drinking though less surface stuff in tea would improve it!

Also for flouride I don't see that as a particular risk as we have children and the flouride has been added for a reason.

Can anyone give the advantages or disadvantages of the different makes? Should I buy cartridges in bulk in case the manufacturer goes out of business?

Also - which filters have a good flow rate - our old springflow was just a trickle and we'd like something that flows a bit faster.

Cheers
MP

Sponsored Links
As this post got no answers I can only assume that there is really no difference between any filter manufacturers or that, like petrol, all filters really come from the same place!

A water filter can remove heavy metals, rust , improve taste by removing chlorine, and microscopic bacteria if needed. You should have the water tested as many times even lead piping gets a protective layer (oxidized) so it will no longer leach into the potable water supply.

You do not want to remove the good things in the water supply as it would taste very bland.

Reverse osmoses is one means but it seems a bit drastic for most municipal water suppies.

NSA for example 100 S ( SEE E BAY) does remove many objectionable things in the water supply improving taste and removing heavy metals. Best bet have the water tested then consider the options from there

Point of use is the best way to go
http://plumbviews.masterplumbers.com/plumbviews/1999/water_filter.asp

Liff
are pretty good.
Add as many filters as you like in parallel if you need to improve flow.

Sponsored Links
Liff
are pretty good.
Add as many filters as you like in parallel if you need to improve flow.

Chris what about friction losses through each filter?

By the time water flows past the sediment filter then through the more expensive heavy metal filter and then the chlorine filter the flow rate would be a trickle at the spout.

Don't you think knowing the piping diameter and pressure then calculating the flow rate and then asking what the resistance of the filter would be a great thing to know before saying add all the filters in series

Connecting filters in Parallel will not get the desired results as you will not remove all

This is not like electricity where series /parellel (whetstone bridge ) complicated circuits

Plumbing is not as forgiving as a voltage drop whch can be seen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back