Water Filters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I am after a mains water filter.
Not one only for drinking water or for showers or for water softening.
One that you put on your rising main.
I want it to filter out chlorine, fluoride etc.
Does anyone know of a good tried and tested filter that will do the job and not restrict the water flow?
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link numpty.
I shall take a peek. First reflections are that it doesn't tell me much about each product but i haven't looked properly yet.
What i'm after is a recommendation of sorts from anyone that has a decent filter or has fitted one that does the job well.

why?

flouride is supposed to be good for bones, chlorine kills any bugs, filters dont make water softer, they filter, shirly you need a water softener?

(i know, dont call you shirly)

Sponsored Links
breezer,
You ask why?
Fluoride is highly toxic. If i want me or my family to have fluoride do you not think that should be my/our choice?

Around 10% of the UK water supply has fluoride added at source. There is growing evidence to support the argument that the science behind the mass fluoridation by water authorities is questionable. It's interesting to know that fluoridation of the water supply is banned in all other European countries.

Chlorine is also highly toxic, it causes skin conditions, asthma, ever been to the swimming pool and opened your eyes under water in a high concentrate of chlorine?
That stuff is going into your skin every time you shower and bathe.
Once again it is down to money, water rates get ever higher.
If chlorine is needed to purify the water then the water company should run the water through a filter process before it reaches us.
I am pretty confident that when i get a good filter i will be reporting back here on a posotive note.
If i see no difference i shall say so.
Anyway, now i've had my soap box moment, back to the pressing question............. :)

but pure chlorine and pure ? what ever since there is no such thing as fluoride (it has to be something fluoride) are lethal anyway. Chlorine is a green gas.

But my point is no one asks you to drink swimming pool water, they also dont ask you to swim in drinking water.

the concentrations of chlorine in drinking water are vastly lower than they are for drinking water.

they add it to kill any bugs that may be in your pipes.

But some water companies are going away from chlorine and using ozone instead.

I still think you would be better off with a water softner

Chlorine and fluorides may be dangerous if you manage to extract enough of them to construct an abnormally big dose, but the real killer is dihydrogen monoxide

Some call Dihydrogen Monoxide the "Invisible Killer"
Others think dihydrogen monoxide should be Banned
Dihydrogen Monoxide is linked to gun violence
Dihydrogen monoxide was found at every recent school shooting
Athletes use DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE, or DHMO, to enhance performance
Dihydrogen Monoxide has been found in our rivers, lakes, oceans and streams
Dihydrogen Monoxide is a major component of acid rain
Thousands die each year after inhaling dihydrogen monoxide
Dihydrogen Monoxide can be deadly

http://www.dhmo.org/

And how do you know that i'm not in a soft water area??
I'm not by the way :)
Fluoride has been proven to cause staining of the enamel on teeth.
Read a toothpaste tube, it tells you only to use a pea sized amount of toothpaste for children because they no it is harmful.
There is very good evidence that the chlorine gas that occurs during hot showers is scarring the lungs.
I have a pod cast of all the things we drink and eat that we are unaware of.
It makes interesting listening and alot of sense.

Yes JohnD.
We are all being slowly poisened.
And noone has the courtesy to ask if we mind!!!

Dihydrogen monoxide, shortened to DHMO, is a scientific name for water that, while technically correct, is almost never employed.

The hoax was apparently created by Eric Lechner, Lars Norpchen and Matthew Kaufman,

Personally, I would be very interested to know what materials are used in these water filters.

Some cost £40, others a tenner. Does anyone know the differences?

We did buy a 'posh' set of taps for our kitchen, much against my wishes, which included a filter on the cold - 'to remove all those nasty smells and chemicals.' I didn't realise there were any. I haven't fitted it, the flow will be absolutely poor, and if it's used the filter will need changing - no big deal but at £40 we can live quite happily without that.

We do have a 10" filter housing on the 'mains' with a Liff combination filter, half polystyrene for sediment, and the other half a granulated carbon filter to remove smells. This filter is needed, and it works alright (we don't suffer from much) but sediment soon blocks the flow - in a few weeks - and the filter needs swapping, at £17 or £19 a throw. I can't find a cheap alternative to the Liff filter.

my water softener includes a Sand Bed to filter out sediment. It gets washed clean by back-flushing during the automatic recycling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back