Which is Heavier?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope everyone is safe and well.

I am having my roof replaced on my house which currently is slate and the house was built in 1900.

Q1) Is natural slate heavier than cement tiles?

Q2) I have been advised by a few roofers that the Existing roof timbers should be able to support the tiles, I would like a second opinion please.

Q3) I have seen so many different makes of Firbe Cement slates, would you be able to recommend any particular brand/type.

thank you,

Shaz

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi,

I am everyone is safe and well.

I am having my roof replaced on my house which currently is slate and the house was built in 1900.

Q1) Is natural slate heavier than cement tiles?

No, considerably lighter.

Q2) I have been advised by a few roofers that the Existing roof timbers should be able to support the tiles, I would like a second opinion please.

Impossible to say without an on site survey

Q3) I have seen so many different males of Firbe Cement slates, would you be able to recommend any particular brand/type.

thank you,

Go with slate, it will look much better.

Shaz

Sponsored Links
Fibre cement slate - 20kg's p/m

Concrete tiles - 50kg's p/m.

Plain clays - 60 kg's p/m

Plain conc's - 80kg's p/m.

There are no doubt much heavier natural slates about, especially some of the early thicker stuff. But as a rule, a roof built with regular slate roof in mind is dealing with a much lighter product than its concrete counterpart.

Weight wise cement fibre is fine apart from life span.
Any of the clay or concrete tiles are much heavier.
I'd be surprised that your existing timbers are man enough without mods.
Be aware if your existing slate is of a good type they can be reused or sold for good money

Last edited:
If you're OK with your ex slate roof looking like a 1970's "refurb" then go with concrete tiles(y):unsure:

Thank you all for the comments and feedback. I did manage to find some day information with regards to the weight per m2 but didn’t find anything specifically for natural slate.

somebody on my street wants around 1000 slates so am going to sell them to him.

just to confirm my understanding, are natural skates about the same weight as cement tiles per m2?

Thank you all for the comments and feedback. I did manage to find some day information with regards to the weight per m2 but didn’t find anything specifically for natural slate.

somebody on my street wants around 1000 slates so am going to sell them to him.

just to confirm my understanding, are natural skates about the same weight as cement tiles per m2?

I thought it was quite clear that "cement" tiles are considerably heavier than slate.

Fibre cement tiles will be roughly equal to normal slate in weight, but they will not be equal in quality as they are a poor substitute.

Are there any planning considerations, are you in a conservation area for example :?:

Fibre cement slates are OK- they won't last as long as real slate but they're cheaper and easier to fit properly. A well-fitted real slate roof looks much nicer and will last much longer (though beware of some slates on the market-some of the Spanish can be a bit poor) but it needs roofers who knows what they're about to give it that look and longevity.

Fibre cement tiles will be roughly equal to normal slate in weight, but they will not be equal in quality as they are a poor substitute.

Fibre cement slates are OK- they won't last as long as real slate

Whilst I agree regards quality and appearance, how long would a FC slate roof be expected to last and how do the tiles degrade over time? Curling? Loss of tight face?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back